my 3 month old baby hasn't pooped in 48 hours is this normal?

My baby is just under 3mts old and normally passes stools at least once a day, however she hasn't done so for the last 48 hours and i'm starting to get a little concerned. She's pure breastfed and seems ok. I just need to know if this is normal or not or if there's anything i could do to help her.

• Favorite Answer

I've read that some babies, especially breastfeed babies, can go a few days without pooping. And it's okay if they do. My daughter turned three months last Friday and she will go a day or two with out pooping.

Take a rectal temperature of her. My daughter normally poops when I take her temp that way.

Source(s): I Love Little Baby Ducks

the two certainly one of my daughters have had bowel themes from beginning. The youngest has had to have juice known in view that she replaced into 3 months previous. Even being completely breastfed she might get extraordinarily constipated. My record informed me that if she is going 3 days and not utilising a bowel stream and he or she seems to be in discomfort (straining to poop, crying, that style of element) then it's time to interfere with the suppository. I have been given the pedialax glycerin suppository for a while 2-5. they're somewhat large for a newborn, so I had to diminish them all the way down to love and 8th of the unique length. it works although. by using the time I have been given her diaper on and my palms washed she had already pooped. It does not harm them in any respect the two.

my baby was also breastfed. He pooped ALOT at first and than started going every 2 or 3 days. He seemed ok though and is now 11 months old and his bowels are fine.

Yes, this can happen sometimes. Just watch her and make sure she isn't in any pain. At 3 months my son went through a rough patch where he didn't poop for 6 days. Our dr. said that he had seen a baby go up to 8 days without pooping. However, at 6 days he gave my son something to help him with pooping. I'd give it another day before calling the dr. Ppl say Karo syrup, but I never went that far. I did, however, use a rectal thermometer to loosen things up once and it worked immediately. :)

--I am seriously starting to think someone is following me around and giving me a negative on all my answers. What the heck!?!

i also breastfeed my son and he has gone for 48 hrs without pooping then when he finally does he definately makes up for missing the other days :)

i wouldnt worry to much as I looked on the internet and apparantly breastfed babies can go up to a week without passing stools and are fine.

if u are concerned then consult ur doctor or even call NHS direct.

breastfed babies can go over a week without a bowel movement, especailly when they are in a growth spurt- they use up all of that food because it is so pure that almost all of it is absorbed by the body- at that age my son only went every 3-4 days- as long as its not hard when she does go then dont worry, breastfed babeis are almost never constipated.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older...

Source(s): nursing my almost 14 month old

It is normal for older breastfed babies to go up to a week wiothout pooping. Breastmilk is digested so easy that there isn't always waste to get out.

1

Source(s): Bigger Breasts in 30 Days http://emuy.info/NaturalBreastEnlargement/?x47r

my first reaction would be is she breast fed or bottle?this makes adifference as breastfed babies around this age can go upto seven days without the need for worry...and when i had troubles with my eldest...now three.the doctor told me to get a cotton bud and gently massage round the anus as this stimulates the pooing urge...dont sound nice but its not something you have to do every day ...i hated it but it worked!

I she isnt uncomfortable then dont worry, you can try cooled boiled water inbetween feeds an if she is a bit constipated then this should loosen her up.