Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

can a fetus talk or cry in the womb?

Favorite Answer

It has actually been documented that after a certain amount of time in the womb that babies do in fact cry or at least go through the motions of it. They begin practicing the breathing motions as well to prepare them for birth. And they even suck their thumb in the womb. You should google your question, I'm sure you will find plenty of actual documented articles on this. Good Luck..

I am going to disagree with everyone who said NO. Yes the baby is able to cry when in the womb. It has been documented. Also when I had my 4d ultra sound at 33 weeks he was indeed crying and the man even said "Oh i think we are upsetting him because he is CRYING" So yes they can. Talk I am not sure about I dont think so.

New research shows that fetuses may learn to express their displeasure by crying silently while still in the womb as early as in the 28th week of pregnancy.

Video-recorded ultrasound images of third trimester fetuses show that they appeared startled in response to a low-decibel noise played on the mother’s abdomen and display crying behavior, such as opening their mouths, depressing their tongues, and taking several irregular breaths before exhaling and settling back down again.

Researchers say the results show that crying may represent a fifth, previously unknown behavioral state for human fetuses. Previously recognized behaviors in unborn fetuses include quiet sleep, active state, quiet awake, and active awake.

In that study, researchers observed the response of third-trimester fetuses of mothers who used cigarettes or cocaine during pregnancy to a soft sound played on the mother’s abdomen.

During the course of the study, they found that several of the fetuses appeared to cry in response to the disruption.

For example, one video clip shows a female fetus turning her head, opening her mouth, depressing her tongue, and letting out a single short breath followed by a deep inhalation and exhalation in response to the sound. Then the fetus tightens her chest and lets out three quick breaths accompanied by a quivering chin and increasing head tilt.

Researchers say this crying response was found in 10 fetuses belonging to four mothers who smoked cigarettes during pregnancy, three who smoked and used cocaine, and three who neither smoked nor used cocaine, suggesting that these behaviors are not specific to tobacco or cocaine exposure.

They say documenting crying behavior in third-trimester fetuses may have developmental implications because crying is a complex behavior that requires coordination of various motor systems. It also requires reception of a stimulus, recognizing it as negative, and incorporating an appropriate response.

• hipps

in case you mean does the fetus shed tears; yest that would desire to be plausible. in case you mean make sounds employing vocal cords, that's not plausible. The vocal cords vibrate and make sounds as air passes by them.

Well feed back to that one I have heard many sounds but I have truly just head my baby girl making light humming noises so I am now convinced that they can make noises ....if they can here us ..and they have vocals then there is no reason that we can't here them ...

No because of all the amniotic fluid, there would be no sound. They have no need to cry in there, they get fed at all times, are warm, safe and secure so they don't cry. They do practice breathing movements though and can still get hiccups.

it cant talk, u gottah teach it how to over months and months when it comes out, it can kinda cry tho .

babies can not talk in general... until they are about 2... but they make facial expressions inside ..they can not cry tho there is no air inside a uterus

bein that babys cant talk ima say no! cry, never heard it b4! i kno they get fussy n get hiccups but other than that i dont think so

No, there is no air in the womb.