Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

LDS: How did 1 Nephi 3:7 factor into the creation of D&C 124:49?

D&C 124:49

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, that when I give a commandment to any of the sons of men to do a work unto my name, and those sons of men go with all their might and with all they have to perform that work, and cease not their diligence, and their enemies come upon them and hinder them from performing that work, behold, it behooveth me to require that work no more at the hands of those sons of men, but to accept of their offerings."

1 Nephi 3:7

"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the thing which the Lord hath commanded, for I know the Lord giveth no commandment unto the children of men save he shall prepare a way that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

Joshsybs: If you're LDS, then I belong to your religion.

Favorite Answer

They are both about the same subject, obedience, but from different sides of the topic.

Nephi is speaking of having faith in the Lord and following his commandments at all times. We do not know what end the Lord is trying to meet. He may give us a commandment because a task needs to be completed. Or He may give us a commandment because we need to learn something in failture (for example: Zion's Camp - EDIT: Thx for the correction, John!). It is not for us to question or assume the Lord's end objective, it is for us to obey now without question.

In D&C 124:49, the Lord is giving further clarification on the obedience of His commandments. He is letting us know, that as long as we try with all our heart and strength and our heart's intent is in the right place, then our attempt at obedience will be counted as righteousness unto us.

I hope that makes sense, I have a bad headache and may not have conveyed my point very well.

• Doctor

Interesting question, Norris my penguin friend.

It appears at first that 1 Nephi 3:7 is saying that if you have faith God will prepare a way for you to accomplish what He has commanded you. D&C 124:49 seems to say that sometimes the Lord does not prepare a way for you. It is an apparent contradiction.

On further thought, though, I think it isn't a contradiction. D&C 124:49 doesn't actually say that God cannot prepare a way for you to accomplish the commandment if there is opposition. It says, as I read it, that sometimes God gives a commandment and later relieves us of the responsibility of keeping that commandment.

God could have prepared a way for them to keep the commandment to build a temple in Jackson County. I'm sure there was wisdom in God for first giving that commandment, and then relieving them of the responsibility. It has to do with our trials, growth opportunities, the need to let wicked men do what they want to do, justice, and how God tests us. God knew when He first gave the commandment what the result would be, though the early Church members didn't know until after the fact. If building that temple had been important, as obtaining the plates was important, God would have prepared a way. But God's foreknowledge in no way relieves the wicked of their guilt in blocking the construction of the temple.

I hope that helps.

I like newwellness' and Jessica's answers, especially the example of Zion's army (camp).

With Nephi, the Lord prepared a way to get the plates by having Laban drunk. But if Laban had exercised his agency and had the plates hid somewhere that Zoram didn't know, I think Nephi would have been released from the commandment, and somehow another copy or something would have been obtained.

Free agency. Even though God will prepare a way for someone to keep His Commandments, other men have their angency to interfer or even hinder the ability of the person who is trying to keep God's commandments. Such has a Missionary who is called to serve a mission in some far away place, then another man who exercises his free agency shots and kills the missionary. The missionarys' previous commandment has been withdrawn.

• Erika

properly enable me paraphrase slightly right here- i'm interpreting it to assert that if the Lord supplies a commandment to his human beings, and we do each little thing in our skill to stick to that commandment, then our enemies come and avert our artwork and we are able to not stick to that commandment anymore, that he can launch us from that criminal responsibility and could settle for what we've already carried out. the way it suits in. God gave the commandment of polygamy- even with the actuality that in the starting up it became ill received, it became finally suggested and the administration of the church and contributors who were requested to stick to it, did so with all their hearts. although, about the time the authorities made it unlawful, the Lord released his human beings from that commandment and basic their obedience to the regulation as a lot as that factor. It had grow to be no longer plausible to stick to the commandment and obey the regulation of the land. The manifesto is what released the contributors of the church from that commandment. thanks for posting that- I had under no circumstances somewhat regarded at that scripture heavily beforehand. Edit** Norris- right that is my knowledge of ways both scriptures tie in- Nephi had faith that the Lord can provide you a thanks to do the artwork. contained in the D&C scripture we are urged to pass in finished faith and do his artwork- we are urged to do all we may be able to. Nephi is doing all that he can. The Lord will grant a fashion when we pass in faith. although from time to time adult males ought to thwart that plan and the Lord has to locate a clean plan. If the Lord sees in nice condition, he can launch His human beings from that commandment completely or for a time. As for the independence temple, which will be equipped sometime, yet because the enemies of the Lord, hindered, that plan, He chosen to positioned that off till a later date. when you consider that Polygamy became going to ruin the church, he discontinued that practice to boot. He made a promise at the same time as the church became restored- that it may under no circumstances again be taken from the earth. If He compelled a number of those themes, then the church may were compelled into hiding and may have lengthy gone the way of the historic Christian church. i wish that is smart. i have not had a large purchase of time to consider, and what I write does no longer continually are available in the course of how i'm wondering it- in my head that is smart.

I think it is all about free choices. Whether we decide to follow the Lord and do what the Lord commands us to do and reap the rewards from the Lord or we dont follow what the Lord commands and be damned and go to hell for it.

• Mike B

The way was provided, the saints in Missouri failed to build a temple, the opportunity for obedience came and went.

It doesn't factor into anything.....both books were made up by Joseph Smith (who was mentally unstable).

The first printing of the D&C condems polygamy but the second printing condones it (How does that factor in?)

The LDS Church has changed its doctorine and its temple ceremonies MANY times (How does this factor in?)

The Book of Mormon has have just under 4,000 changes made to it since it's first printing (How does this factor in?)

Do you see a PATTERN here?????

how come their is no polygamy in the Book of mormon!???