Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Is it possible that sea monsters could exist?

There have been myriad accounts of sea goers and their encounters with creatures unbeknownst to the world. There are reported attacks, harmless sightings, or mysterious carcasses washing ashore. The descriptions range from giant versions of known species, such as squid or jellyfish, to horned serpents, sea monsters with hair, and anything else imaginable. Many of the "serpents" are said to swim in an undulating manner, unlike the side-to-side motion of fish. There have also been detailed encounters beasts resembling the thought-to-be-extinct dinosaurs, such as the plesiosaur. But the sea is a vast and mysterious place, the sea has many secrets, so is it possible since the ocean is such a deep and dark place?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Considering that we know more about the surface of the moon, that we do about our own oceans, then, yes it is possible that many creatures exist that we do not know about.

• 1 decade ago

It depends on what you consider a sea monster.At one time the giant squid was considered a sea monster.Fishermen have caught sea creaures that could be considered sea monsters.With the vastness of the oceans and seas,which cover a great deal of the earth,and the fact that we have not explored the oceans to definatley say that there not sea monsters is wrong.Scientests have found bodies of water under the oceans with caves that join them.What we consider sea monsters could definately come through these caves into our oceans.I am sure many sailors have seen them but without pictures they have no proof so they say nothing.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We know more about outer space than what's in our oceans' depths. It's more probable that there is an intelligent species who control the oceans and create the "monsters." (Personally, I think the preceding scenario is even more probable than the existence of the Judeo-Christian god).

I recommend you read the fictional novel "Swarm" by Frank Schatzing. It's a fascinating book about how a species more intelligent than humans, who have existed since the beginning of the Earth, and who rule over all that is water on this planet. You'll be surprised at the nature of this species - it's unlike anything you could imagine.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Absolutely possible, in fact we know that there are a lot of species the live deep in the ocean that are not yet cataloged. Giant squid are real, and if you had seen them a hundred years ago they would be classified as a sea monster, but now we know they are just giant squid. There are also species that live in caves, the rain forest, magma, and ice that have not yet been "discovered" by man.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Excellent question. The ocean, just like religious faith, is indeed a deep, dark and unknowable place. Since most of the folks here have little or no regard for science, we can safely conclude that everything is always possible. So yes, sea monsters not only exist, but they also have tea parties under the sea when we aren't looking.

• MSB
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

There are many things we thought were myths in the sea that turned out to be true (giant squids, anyone?), or things we thought extinct that swam up to divers one day, or things we didn't know existed, like those hairy albino crabs they found last year, and giant starfish this year.

I think it is possible there could be swimming other unknown species, or species thought to be extinct or myths, somewhere beneath the surface. But I don't think they are monsters-- just animals. Never know.

• 1 decade ago

Well monster is such a subjective term.

Some books call bats birds, and say that insects have 4 legs.

• 1 decade ago

Yeah, I believe it according to Scripture. A great book that talks about these sea monster mysteries is "Unlocking the Mysteries of Creation," by Petersen. It's really interesting.

• In 1942 the Japanese Battleship Yamato-Maru dregged up the corpse of plesiosaur. It was quickly secreted away buy a secretive and evil Evolutionist cult.

• 1 decade ago

It's pretty much a certainty that there are sea-dwelling species that have remained undiscovered by man. Some of those could be pretty large, too. I wouldn't call them 'monsters' though.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.