Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsGames & GearXbox · 1 decade ago

XBOX 360 HD DVD Player?

Do we need a 360 to operate it's HD DVD player?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

You don't absolutely need an Xbox 360 to use the HD DVD attachment.

But is does make it a LOT easier.

If you were so inclined, you could plug it into your PC. Granted to play HD DVD’s and for your computer to recognize it, you would have to buy HD DVD software from a company like PowerDVD or something. Also you have to alter your program settings to tell the HD drive to work like it should.

There are a lot of videos and websites that tell you how to do this step by step.

It’s probably not worth your time, since HD DVD’s are no longer in production and no one makes new hardware for them either.

People say, buy Blu ray, but that might not be the best either. With Blu having a massive struggle with price and hardware/software updates, it will be a while before its priced correctly and the hardware up to par.

* also some analysts say that bluray will never reach more than 25% of sales in the Home video market, as in the time for phyical media has past... I don't know how it will pan out, but it is soemthing to think about.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, that's kind of the whole point of the thing. No one is making HD DVDs now, anyway, so the 360 HD DVD Player is just an expensive paperweight at this point. It's all Blu-ray from here on out.

• 1 decade ago

yes or you can buy a HD DVD player that is not made for the XBOX 360. I would buy a Blu-Ray player if I were you because HDDVD is not making much HDDVD"s

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ya obviously...and why would you want an hd dvd player? they don't even make hd dvds anymore!

also xbox 360 is coming with a blue-ray attachment

Source(s): i have a 360
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, you need a 360 to use the add on.

Source(s): XBOX Expert
  • 1 decade ago

Technically no, You can hook it up via USB cable to your computer and your computer can play the HD-DVD's

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

unfortunaly... yes you do as it is an xbox 360 add on device

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.