Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

Impact of physical exercise during pregnancy?

what are the results of physical exercise during pregnancy on the birth of the child

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It used to be that pregnancy offered a good reason to sit down and put your feet up. But times have changed for pregnant women in good health. In January 2002, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) released new recommendations on exercise during pregnancy and the postpartum period that encourage many more women to get up and get fit while pregnant.

According to ACOG's guidelines, unless there are medical reasons to avoid it, pregnant women can and should try to exercise moderately for at least 30 minutes on most, if not all, days.

In the short term, exercise helps all of us feel better physically and emotionally, and the calories burned help prevent excessive weight gain. People who exercise regularly develop stronger muscles, bones and joints. And over time, the benefits of regular exercise are even more impressive: lower risk of premature death, heart disease and other serious illnesses.

For pregnant women, exercise has added benefits. It can help prevent gestational diabetes, a form of diabetes that sometimes develops during pregnancy. For women who already have gestational diabetes, regular exercise and changes in diet can help control the disease.

Exercise can relieve stress and build the stamina needed for labor and delivery. It can also help women cope during the postpartum period. Exercise can help new mothers keep "baby blues" at bay, regain their energy and lose the weight they gained during pregnancy.

Before you go out and run a marathon, talk with your health care provider. Not all pregnant women should exercise, especially if they are at risk of preterm labor or suffer from a serious ailment, such as heart or lung disease. So check with your health care provider before you start an exercise program.

Next, decide what type of exercise you will do. Pick things you think you will enjoy. You may want to try several things. For example, brisk walking for 30 minutes or more is an excellent way to get the aerobic benefits of exercise, and you don't need to join a health club or buy any special equipment. You could also run, hike or dance, if you like. Swimming is another sport that is especially good for pregnant women. The water supports the weight of your growing body and provides resistance that helps bring your heart rate up. You can also look around for aerobics and yoga classes designed for pregnant women. You may find that a variety of activities helps keep you motivated to continue exercising throughout your pregnancy—and beyond.

Be careful when choosing a sport. Avoid any activities that put you at high risk for injury, such as horseback riding or downhill skiing. Stay away from sports in which you could get hit in the belly, such as ice hockey, kickboxing or soccer. Especially after the third month, avoid exercises that require you to lie flat on your back. Lying on your back can restrict the flow of blood to the uterus and endanger your baby. Finally, never scuba dive. This sport may lead to dangerous gas bubbles in the baby's circulatory system.

When you exercise, pay attention to your body and how you feel. Don't overdo it—try to build up your level of fitness gradually. If you have any serious problems, such as vaginal bleeding, dizziness, headaches, chest pain, decreased fetal movement or contractions, stop exercising and contact your health care provider immediately.

With a little bit of caution, you can achieve or maintain a level of fitness that would shock your grandmother. You'll feel and look better. And yes, you can still put your feet up—after you've come back from your walk.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Being expecting is an exciting time of your lifespan and staying fit when pregnant is very important. Your physique is changing, and quickly you’ll be soon giving birth to an amazing child. Everyone would like to get back to your pre-baby form quicker after giving birth, remaining fit during your pregnancy can help. Working out while you’re pregnant has other benefits as well, like delivery of baby is easier. You will have to adjust your fitness routine when you’re pregnant to make sure you and your child remain safe and fit. Right here are some safe and effective workouts you can do when you’re expecting that will keep you look and feel great.

please follow this link for detailed exercises http://fitnfoodie.com/fitnessblogs/6-ways-stay-fit...

• Me
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I had great results exercising throughout my pregnancy. I used an elliptical machine from day 1 and actually did it the day I went into labor. It helped me keep my weight gain under control which made it easier to return to my regular size afterwards. Also, exercising keeps your energy up through your pregnancy and also makes labor easier and faster. You'll have more endurance and your blood pressure has a better chance of staying normal which means less of a chance for a c-section. Do be careful on what type of exercise you do because your tendons and ligaments get looser as you approach your due date. Some great ideas are walking, swimming, pregnancy aerobic videos, and if you are already active you can continue whatever you do as long as your doctor approves. (I was a jogger too and kept it up until it became uncomfortable. )

Source(s): I worked out my whole pregnancy.
  • 1 decade ago

Up to the 14th week, a pregnant woman should take it easy and rest a lot. Afterwards, as the threat of miscarriage recedes, she can resume training in whatever sport she enjoyed before, apart from anything that jolts her too much (jogging, cycling, horse riding, trampolining). Picking up something new is not advisable either, because the muscles and joints get progressively more relaxed and can be injured without even realising it. Swimming is an ideal exercise, as it relieves from the pressure of the extra weight. A fit woman is more likely to keep her blood pressure steady and to avoid problems like back pain and varicose veins. There is evidence that exercise can also help bring on labour on term.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • velo
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Check together with your health care professional and get permission to activity. Understand that in case you have been fairly energetic earlier than fitting pregnant, it is most probably that you'll hold what you have been doing, with a few adjustments. Try non have an effect on physical activities, akin to desk bound biking or water aerobics. Walking may be fine; simply be certain to have cushioned sneakers. Shoot for 3 activity periods every week, and incorporate leisure days. Don't allow your self get too exhausted - the activity will have to be fresh, no longer draining. Your frame is busy adequate proper now. Drink lots of water and prevent getting too scorching. Wear unfastened, at ease apparel. Remember that being pregnant is not the time to set any private bests. Note that as you get larger, your core of gravity alterations, so watch the doorstep with some thing like step aerobics or strolling. Don't do any activity whilst flat for your again while you cross the 3rd month. Look for a mother-to-be activity magnificence at your clinic or health facility. Listen in your frame. If any activity feels ordinary, give up. In the final month, stroll is the pleasant solution to aid the little one accommodate to the hard work. congrats!! and bless be

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.