Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

Wearing the Confederate Flag?

Do you think wearing the Confederate Flag suports racism? I love the South, and could never live in the Yankee states, lol. But I DO NOT support racism, religious intolerance, or injustice in any form. I'm just a Confederate supporting his homeland.

• DRL
    Best Answer

Not at all! Only those that wish to convey their "Political Correctness" will ASSUME that the Confederate flag symbolizes "slavery" and "racism".

The FACT is, keeping "slavery" legal was only one aspect of the south; the Confederate flag symbolizes a much BROADER aspect than any single issue!

Anyone that thinks or believes the Confederate flag is a symbol of racism...is really just ignorant of the facts and MOST likely TRYING to show that they are a "BETTER" person for being "politically correct"!

Wear your Confederate flag for WHATEVER reasons you believe it symbolizes! Wear it with pride!

One day we will all look back on this era of "political correctness" and think...."WHAT IN THE HECK WERE THEY THINKING?"

I'm not a big wearer of the rebel flag but I will wear it sometimes like the Dixie outfitters shirts. It just depends on the person if it is used as racism or but not for many its just part of our southern southern heritage. Which is very big in the south (especially in Alabama!) But of course there are some (by some I mean very few) who use it to be mean and rude to others. The south has came along way since the civil war so if any one had any bad givings about the south they need to take a trip down here and check it out for themselves its a very beautiful place and y'all want find any nicer people. The southern hospitably is great!! I could never live up north either I love it to much down here to go any where else.

Source(s): Lived in the south my whole life!

It is a sign of the Confederacy. It is what you believe it means. There are those out there that think the American flag itself represents evil, oppression, and racism. What is so amusing to me is the Georgia state flag. People got all in a tizzy because it contained the "Stars and Bars" so they changed it... into a flag that is nearly identical to the original Confederate national flag, but people don't complain about that. The issue is exactly as you say it. The vast majority of people believe it represents a respect and honor of southern history, culture, and values, while the rest believe it represents hate. Wear it, fly it, respect it; what really matters is how you represent it in society. Of course, I prefer the Bonnie Blue myself.

Well the Confederate symbol was equated with racism (perhaps a rather broad brush as I'm sure some of the symbolism had to do with people's love of their area of the country). But, nonetheless it is considered controversial in somewhat the same way as the swastika.

A fact that needs to be talked about but never is that most states had in their constitution that if they didn't like what was going on they could suceed from the Union. So it was not illegal. But that gives the argument for States Rights to much credit and is never written about. Another fact that is never discussed is a comparison between the treatment of the coal miners in the North as compared to the slaves. Now, I hate slavery, I hate intergration, I despise the KKK. But let us not forget that Lincoln had a slave and US Grant got in trouble after the war because he wouldn't release his slave, said he couldn't find good help.

I fly my Confederate flag every day to show support for the many men Black and white who fought for the south.They gave their life for this country. Heritage no Hate describes it best. i am a decendant of a Confederate cabinet member who went on to become a US Senator. he would make 10 of the best one there now. History is History . The Stars and Bars is a part of U.S. History. Leave it alone.

i think it is a sign of racism. because look what it stands 4. its a flag that symbolizes i bad time for sc. im from charleston south carolina. and i've found many other ways to show my south-ness. lol

It supports the confederacy which supported slavery during the Civil war.

You can't find another way of showing southern pride?