How many words should a book have?

I have always wanted to write a book but know nothing about it. I recently got this story line in my head and started to type it up in MS word. And according to MS word I have 25,300+ words which I know is to short and I am going back trying to extend the story add some history while trying not to ruin the concept... show more I have always wanted to write a book but know nothing about it. I recently got this story line in my head and started to type it up in MS word. And according to MS word I have 25,300+ words which I know is to short and I am going back trying to extend the story add some history while trying not to ruin the concept of my book but I am running low on ideas and starting to panic. I have no clue what genre my book would be either its about a young woman overcoming an abusive relationship which leads to her killing her husband in self defense along with a love story. What I need to know is how many words I shot for in a whole and appomx. on each chapter. Someone please help me!

Thanks
7 answers 7