Why doesn't Communism work?

Why do people point to historical examples of communism and say that "Clearly, communism is great in theory, but doesn't work in reality"? But those same people are able to look at tons of examples of Christians doing extremely evil things: i.e. crusades, witch burnings, conquistadors, pogroms, KKK,... show more Why do people point to historical examples of communism and say that "Clearly, communism is great in theory, but doesn't work in reality"? But those same people are able to look at tons of examples of Christians doing extremely evil things: i.e. crusades, witch burnings, conquistadors, pogroms, KKK, Holocaust (Hitler was Christian not atheist), slavery, and they say that "people are imperfect, and those people are not 'true' Christians, thus they do not affect the validity or value of Christ's teachings." In the end, the implementations of communism thus far do not truly reflect the genius of Karl Marx, therefore, how can you say history proves anything about communism's validity? Why don't people give communism the same benefit of the doubt as they give Christianity?

Am I on to something? Tell me what you think, and help me understand why there's a double standard where it seems like nothing can tarnish Christianity's reputation.
Update: OK, apparently some people aren't understanding how I'm relating Communism to Christianity. Both of these ideologies in pure form are beautiful and idealistic, and both of these ideologies have a blood-soaked past. Why is one deemed socially acceptable while the other is deemed to be evil?
Update 2: Oh yeah, and by the way, I'm NOT attacking Christianity. I just found the parallels between Communism and Christianity extremely strong. I just want to understand why people can excuse Christianity for all the terrible things done by those who call themselves Christians by cherry-picking the definition of... show more Oh yeah, and by the way, I'm NOT attacking Christianity. I just found the parallels between Communism and Christianity extremely strong. I just want to understand why people can excuse Christianity for all the terrible things done by those who call themselves Christians by cherry-picking the definition of "true Christian" while people are not merciful to Communism by cherry-picking the definition of "true Communist."