Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why do the people in the United States seldom hear about news events from Canada or México, 2 close neighbors?

These two countries border the U.S.; yet, the people who grow up and live in the U.S. quite often know next to nothing about either of these two countries, current events within Canada or México, or anything about important people who live and rule either of these nations.

Doesn't this strike you as a bit odd?

Favorite Answer

I'm Canadian and lived in Arizona for 2 years. I never heard one word about Canada during that whole time. It was quite frustrating. Why?

Probably a lot about being self centred with themselves and where they fit in the world scheme of things. It's sad that their government spends a lot of money and energy to protect their vital interests around the world, (even to the point where they kill a lot of people) yet the average American knows nothing or very little about the countries involved.

Hopefully the next federal election WILL bring a huge change in their thinking and doing.

• RoVale

It has to do with being "Ameri-centric", which means that the only news stories that occur in the US are worthy of coverage. I think this practice is stupid, considering that so many of the stories focus on non-news items such as missing attractive young women and the latest celebrity gossip. I live less than a hundred miles away from Juarez, a Mexican border city where hundreds of women and girls have been murdered or gone missing. Yet, we seldom hear about this story but get loads of coverage about Britney shaving her head or attacking a car with an umbrella. Where are people's priorities?

I live in Canada and this is a mystery to me too.

Maybe USA is narcissistic?