Why do the people in the United States seldom hear about news events from Canada or México, 2 close neighbors?

These two countries border the U.S.; yet, the people who grow up and live in the U.S. quite often know next to nothing about either of these two countries, current events within Canada or México, or anything about important people who live and rule either of these nations.

Doesn't this strike you as a bit odd?

Favorite Answer

Not only our neighbors, but the rest of the world too. I watch the Chinese news station because even though I don't understand the language, I understand the gist visually.

We don't have 'news' anymore, we have non-stop weather, traffic, and human interest stories. We have no investigative reporting and if you change channels, you'll see the same crapola being reported in the same order on every 'news station.' we also have fewer people who control the news media - something VERY scary indeed.

Common sense, America has a big head and only one head can fit on a shoulder. if it tries to fit more it would create more relations and have more problems. The peoples of America would start to feel invaded,seperated, feel they have to share there space. There integrity is within there nation and not others unless they come under there rule. They probably dont want anyone to think that the grass is greener on the other side. We are the best, we are the ones, we will survive,we are Americans. The presidents do a good job of brain washing the people just like they do with most countries. Im in New Zealand and we dont really have a choice who rules but I do know that America thinks they are the ones. 75% of the people have never left there state. A majority of them dont even know who New Zealand is. So ask your self.

I can see your point and, not until now gave it much thought. I have visited both many times, and love Canada.

"Irrelevant", both Canada and Mexico, although, I enjoy my time in each I really could care less about either. Canada does and is "positioned" geographically "riding our backs" using our power, economically/militarily, etc. just existing, enjoying life. I do not particularly care for "French" people, in general, either. Some parts, people are overly friendly, others, i.e., Quebec City, they "turn their noses up" to Americans. I will say this, my MOST favorite area in North America is Vancouver, my type of people and great for "fitness", mountain biking, employment, etc. I also will once or twice during Hockey season fly to Calgary where my Atlanta Flames went years ago. My dad took me to many games and I, as many, follow the "Flames" as if our own. I am also personal friends with ex-Flame, Willie Plett that lives in Atlanta as well.

Mexico, how can such an undeveloped country next to us exist. I know many Mexicans, some illegal, but extremely polite and friendly. These people, unlike many Americans, want to be part of this country and they WILL work, do good work, examples of the American dream. We support with our "tax money" many illegals but I would rather support this group that come to work, support their families, improve their lives as "productive citizens", than our U.S. citizens, "Lazy Butts" we support with "welfare", no ambition to improve, continue having "babies" only for income.

I give my personal "praise" to the Mexicans more than Canadians. Our government DOES NOT see the importance of either due to the "non-existence" of travel by our President or other government agencies. I will say this, the French men DO NOT particularly like to see me coming, especially, in Montreal, because I usually end up going out with some Canadian's GF.

I cannot tell you why I "feel" as expressed but I assure you my thoughts with research beginning today. I guess I get "sick and tired" of other nations "riding our coat tails", a "free ride".

Our U.S. government, my opinion, should legalize the Mexicans, they are here already, producing income, let's use them in our "tax system", this would produce a "tremendous" tax base our economy can desparately use.

Because, so far, Canada and Mexico are not part of the USA. So their national news doesn't interest us.

Also, it is pretty easy to generalize about what you will get from Mexican and Canadian news:

Canadian will be roughly the same as news from USA, just 15% less interesting.

Mexican news will be the latest about government corruption and the breakdown between the military, local police, federales, and the Mexican central government.

The same reason no one hears much about Paris Hilton's sister.

The US is a world leader, like it or not, good or bad. People look to our news out of interest, even those outside of the US, moreso than anyone looks at the news from Canada or Mexico. Mexico is corrupt to the very top, much more than the US, and they are a good 100 years behind everyone else. Canada is a quiet country with quiet politics and, frankly, just not very interesting.

Just like Paris Hilton's sister, old what's-her-name...

Most Americans can not imagine that anyone else could be important. The news media does not bother to report on our neighbors either. I have a section on my home page that shows the headlines from Mexico, so I know a lot of what is going on there.

I'm not American, but I've heard that news outside of America is seldom, if at all reported through the media. I don't know if this is true or false though because I've never visited the USA.

This is all too true ... I spent 2 months in canada a few years ago .. each night i got to watch British,Canadian ,and American news. Back here in the good ol' U.S. I only see american news... we have become too self centered. maybe someday we'll realize the earth doesn't revolve around us.

Americans are a very ignorant people. They don't care about the world.