Guild Wars?

Do you need the original Guild Wars to play Guild Wars Nightfall? Can I just but Nightfall to play?

Favorite Answer

The three main 'chapters' of Guild Wars are all stand-alone games. Prophecies is the original Guild Wars, then came Factions with an Oriental setting, then Nightfall with its Africa/Middle-East looking area. All three link together so that you can transfer higher-level characters from one to the other, but each works fine as a single, stand-alone game.

I do not usually recommend Nightfall for a first purchase of Guild Wars. In my opinion it introduces some complications (like 'Heroes') which make learning the game a bit more difficult. But if you have experience with similar games that won't cause you undue difficulty. I do recommend starting out with one of the 'core' classes for your first character, though. The Dervish and Paragon professions introduced in Nightfall are a bit subtle and I think require a certain amount of experience in the game to play successfully. I would advise going with a straight up Warrior, or an Elementalist. Ranger and Necromancer aren't too hard, either. With Mesmer and Monk you get into a little harder-to-play mode, and you might wait on those for a later character after you've learned the game basics.

Good luck. It's a lot of fun!

no they are all standalone campaigns