Whats the best way to kill a beaver?

Damn things are eating through my birch trees on my pond... whats the best way to deal with them? I have a .22 but I'm thinkin af getting a crossbow and then cooking the beavers to feed to my dogs?

Favorite Answer

#330 Conibear. Trap

You should be fine with a .22 but if you want more power look into the .17 hmr.It has great ballistics and is the perfect roun for varmints.But since you might have limited cash them i would recomend that you stay with the .22.A crosbow will have very limited range compared to any firearm and will be alot harder to hit what you aim at with.

• Bobby

As someone said above, call the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife. They may send out trappers or advise you. In the meantime, you can put chicken wire around trees you want to protect. I have wire around 12 fruit trees on my property, and these trees are not bothered. Good luck with a 12 inch spear, by the way.

just use the .22 it's easier and more efficient plus you don't have to buy anything. just shoot the beaver in the head if your worried about your dogs eating the bullet.

Shotgun with #4 shot will do the trick. Dusk is the best time to find them out and about. Blast away.

• Dan B

Since it is illegal to shoot your rifle over the surface of your lake or pond because of the ricochet factor and inherent dangers involved, you will have to resort to a shotgun or traps. With traps, you will need to use leghold traps in a drown-set or kill-set Connibears which are often illegal in some areas because of the danger to pets and livestock. The BEST and surest method to reduce or remove your pest would be with a licensed professional...either an exterminator or an officer from your local Department of Fish & Game. Beaver are smart and illusive. As a former Alaska game warden, I can assure you that you will be challenged to remove these animals unless you have a lot of experience and a lot of time. By the way, did you know they are mostly nocturnal? (Are you?) ;o) Best of luck!

• Ryan

use the .22, shoot for the head. but the beaver will sink, so don't worry about eating it.

Source(s): i've shot a few beavers on a farm pond--they sink like stones when you kill them.

i think the best way is traps for beavers.

Impale it with a pink torpedo

Traps work best

Have the authorities trap and relocate it, unless you really want to shot it