I reformatted my C drive and reinstalled xp, why did my D drive dissapear?

It is a Sony Vaio PCG-FXA63 laptop. Before the reinstall, it had both a C and D drive with 20gb mem each. Computer is 5 years old, and its accumulated all sorts of junk over the time, and this is the first time it had been nuked (delete partition, create new partition, quick format, reinstall XP) and now the computer does not show a D drive. The C drive has its original 20gb of space. Im trying to figure out what happened to the D drive and how I can get it back??? HELP MEH!!!

Oh, i knew all my data would go by by. I backed all docs and items that I wanted to keep, so im not worried about losing info. I just want that other 20gig back!! :D

Ok, disc manager only shows the C drive and 20g of mem. So it WAS one drive with 2 partitions on it. Now how do I get the second partition back? Would I have to reformat the entire disc again???

Favorite Answer

Go into settings, admin tools, computer management and then go to disk management. If your D drive isnt there it should have 20gb of unpartitioned space. You reformatted your entire drive and it sounds like you had 1 HDD with 2 partitions on it before you reformatted. You just need to format the 2nd partition again. But yeah all your data is gone. :(

• bessie

in case you have an entire backup, pop interior the xp disc and while beginning the computing gadget hit f8 and boot from disccontinual, persist with the installer shield and reformat yourcontinual, as quickly as xp is working merely flow lower back your subsidized up data.

laptop....must've been a partition, "divided" into two different sections, c:\, for OS stuff and d:\ for other stuff, and to repartition the drives and why u lost 20gb of storage is beyond me...blast..to slow to type.....

Well I think you said it yourself. You have to re-partition after reformatting....that's what I think.....

you should have backed up your drives.