I reformatted my C drive and reinstalled xp, why did my D drive dissapear?

It is a Sony Vaio PCG-FXA63 laptop. Before the reinstall, it had both a C and D drive with 20gb mem each. Computer is 5 years old, and its accumulated all sorts of junk over the time, and this is the first time it had been nuked (delete partition, create new partition, quick format, reinstall XP) and now the... show more It is a Sony Vaio PCG-FXA63 laptop. Before the reinstall, it had both a C and D drive with 20gb mem each. Computer is 5 years old, and its accumulated all sorts of junk over the time, and this is the first time it had been nuked (delete partition, create new partition, quick format, reinstall XP) and now the computer does not show a D drive. The C drive has its original 20gb of space. Im trying to figure out what happened to the D drive and how I can get it back??? HELP MEH!!!
Update: Oh, i knew all my data would go by by. I backed all docs and items that I wanted to keep, so im not worried about losing info. I just want that other 20gig back!! :D
Update 2: Ok, disc manager only shows the C drive and 20g of mem. So it WAS one drive with 2 partitions on it. Now how do I get the second partition back? Would I have to reformat the entire disc again???