"Poinsettia" care: have re-potted, looks like it's dying: what should I do? any comments welcome?

Received an enormous, magnificent poinsettia for Christmas. Obviously needed repotting. A purported plant authority here in Reno/Sparks, Nevada - for the most part, very dry climate, lots of sun in summer - adivised I repot, and set outside. I complied, but it began to look pretty... show more Received an enormous, magnificent poinsettia for Christmas. Obviously needed repotting.

A purported plant authority here in Reno/Sparks, Nevada - for the most part, very dry climate, lots of sun in summer - adivised I repot, and set outside.

I complied, but it began to look pretty "droopy" to me, so brought it back inside: now looks like it's in its "death throes": may have very well overwatered it.

A friend of mine who has had a lot of experience with plants, advised me to put it in the closet, until it began to bloom.

I really don't know what to do. Any chance of reviving this once glorious plant?

Any serious comments, suggestions, would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Alberich