laptop battery slow charge rate?

i had bought a new laptop battery because my old one was bad but this new one has a slow charging rate. it takes like 15-30min for it to go up to 1%. it holds the energy and everything but it has a very slow charge rate.

what is the cause for this? and this battery is brand new. i also bought a new charger a while back for the computer as well so i dont know if this has anything to do with it since its not the "original" charger.

i have toshiba satellite laptop.

does anyone know what i should do or what the problem is?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

its all down to the rate of charge given by charger and rate that the battery can cope with without cooking.

some info for you.

1. New toshiba laptop batteries should be activated first.That’s the good beginning. You must initially give the battery a 12-14 hour charge on the home/house charger. (Don't use a cigarette adapter for the first charge. This conditions the battery and don't take it off the charger that first time even if the charging indicator says it's full after 3 hours. Also the manufacturer's also state to run it thru 3 charge cycles. What that mean's is that you fully charge and fully drain 3 times. 1 full charge + 1 full drain = 1 charge cycle. Here's where the way you charge the battery starts to differ.

2. Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion doesn't cause harm because there's no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

3. Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.

4. Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% state-of-charge.

• 3 years ago

Toshiba Laptop Battery And Charger

• 3 years ago

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

probably a faulty battery or charger go into a local computer place and ask for advice if you have warranty take it back and get a new one hope this helps

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.