Snake eggs in flower bed?

I live in Maryland. I was re-doing a garden bed this past weekend and unearthed a clutch of snake eggs. They range in size. I know that snake eggs grow over time -- as the baby snake gets bigger so does the egg. Anyone have any idea about what kind of snake they would be? They look like the pictures on google image search of both grass snakes and black rat snakes. But then a lot of the snake eggs I saw on the search looked alike. I just wasn't sure in this area what the most likely snake would be. I live in a highly developed area, tons of houses on top of each other with very small yards and many commercial properties nearby, not exactly a snake's paradise. Any ideas on the kind of snake that would make its home in this type of environment? Also, is there a specific time frame for when snakes lay their eggs and when they hatch or does it just happen all spring and summer long? I'm anxious to find out when these things will be hatching.

I'm pretty sure Garter snakes have live births, not eggs. I'm hoping to have a wildlife group take them, but that's what I'm trying to do -- figure out if I have enough time for the wildlife group to take them before they hatch. If not, I need to get rid of them before I have a hundred snakes in my yard.

Favorite Answer

I wouldfind out what they are before making any decision. If they are garter snakes, they are EXTREMELY beneficial. Even if they're not, the majority will move on to greener pastures. A few snakes will eliminate loads of pests that could haunt you. Both grass snakes and rat snakes are wonderful to have around. I wish I had a few. I do have garters, and collect more of them when I hear there is a hatching.

RE: Snake eggs in flower garden? I live in Maryland. I was re-doing a garden bed this past weekend and unearthed a clutch of snake eggs. They range in size. I know that snake eggs grow over time -- as the baby snake gets bigger so does the egg. Anyone have any idea about what kind of snake they would be? They look like the...

They are probably just a guarder snake but I would sure destroy them before they hatch or you will have a yard full of snakes. Good luck