Ang
Ang asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

HB 568 Banning of Pit Bulls in Ohio... please help?

This is something that I've just heard about and I'm outraged. If this law passes you'll have 90 days to get rid of your dog. It's intent is to help decrease the amount of dog fight and dangerous dogs. What it will really do is kill innocent dogs, and give the black market and the drug dealers and the gang members no punishment because what they do with these dogs is already illegal.

Please visit this site www.Nopitbullbans.com

Write a letter to your local representitive urging them not to let a law like this pass. HB568 specifically affects Ohio, but as you see on the page listed above.

To make this a question.... are you going to do the right thing? Use the power that you have, and stop this from happening!

Yes jackie it already is underground... it's those people that are giving these animals such a bad name... They AREN'T being punished now... my point is why punish everyone else when they can't even punish the people who are screwing it up.

Favorite Answer

I've been fighting this.

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Dog_Laws_and_Legisla...

There is a list of Ohio State representatives, their contact info and some letters that can be used as a starting point. Change enough that it's not a copy and use your own words.

Remember guys, BSL doesn't just affect 'pit bull' owners. It WILL eventually affect you. Stand beside us so that when it's time to ban all 'vicious' small breeds we stand beside you.

ADD: Jackie; How does banning a TYPE of dog solve anything? There are at least 25 breeds of dog commonly called 'pit bull' Have you looked into it to make sure that your dog isn't one of them?

Here is the addition they are trying to make:

Sec. 955.111. (A) Beginning ninety days after the effective date of this section, no person shall own, keep, or harbor a dog that belongs to a BREED that is COMMONLY KNOWN as a pit bull dog.

(this includes: AmStaff, Staffy, Cane Corso, Presa Canario and many more)

(B) Not later than ninety days after the effective date of this section, a person who owns, keeps, or harbors a pit bull dog on the effective date of this section shall surrender the dog to the dog warden. Not later than ten days after receiving the dog, the dog warden shall euthanize the dog.

(C)(1) Beginning ninety days after the effective date of this section, if an officer has probable cause to believe that a dog is a pit bull dog, the officer may apply to a court of competent jurisdiction for a search warrant. The court shall issue a search warrant for the purposes requested if there is probable cause to believe that a dog is a pit bull dog.

(2) After obtaining a search warrant, an officer shall seize the pit bull dog and surrender the dog to the dog warden. Not later than ten days after receiving the dog, the dog warden shall euthanize the dog.

(D) As used in this section, "officer" has the same meaning as in section 959.132 of the Revised Code.

Do you really want to take the risk of your dogs being called 'pit bull' and having them taken and killed?? Trust me on this. It's something that you want to fight.

Yates is an idiot for even proposing this bill!! This is an embarrassment for the state of Ohio and should it pass I will leave this state and never look back.. I don't own a pit, but I will in no way, shape or form support killing animals as an alternative to controlling criminal activity.. This is a joke. I called Joyce Beatty's office at 7:15 in the morning and was met with a very nasty, very rude individual answering her office phone. When I asked for Joyce's voice mail this lady lied and stated she didn't have one!! Well, I called back on the Holiday and wouldn't ya know there was Joyce's voice mail.. I let her know how I felt about the bill and how I felt about the individual who TRIED to infringe upon my right to voice my opinion... Make sure you drop ole Joyce a voice mail and express your concerns.. Telephone: (614) 466-5343

Leadership Contact Information:

John Husted

Speaker of the House

77 S.

High St

14th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 644-6008

Fax : (614) 719-3591

Email Address: district37@ohr.state.oh.us (state.oh. us)

Kevin DeWine

Speaker Pro Tempore

77 S.

High St

14th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 644-6020

Fax : (614) 719-3970

Email Address: district70@ohr.state.oh.us (state.oh. us)

Larry L.

Flowers

Majority Floor Leader

77 S.

High St

14th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 466-4847

Fax : (614) 719-6958

Email Address: district19@ohr.state.oh.us (state.oh. us)

Jim Carmichael

Assistant Majority Floor Leader

77 S.

High St

12th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 466-1474

Fax : (614) 719-0003

Email Address: district03@ohr.state.oh.us (state.oh. us)

Michelle G.

Schneider

Majority Whip

77 S.

High St

14th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 644-6023

Fax : (614) 719-3589

Email Address: district35@ohr.state.oh.us (state.oh. us)

Shannon Jones

Assistant Majority Whip

77 S.

High St

11th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 644-6027

Fax : (614) 719-3967

Email Address: district67@ohr.state.oh.us (state.oh. us)

Joyce Beatty

Minority Leader

77 S.

High St

14th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 466-5343

Fax : (614) 719-3581

Email Address: district27@ohr.state.oh.us (state. oh.us)

T.

Todd Book

Assistant Minority Leader

77 S.

High St

14th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 466-2124

Fax : (614) 719-6989

Email Address: district89@ohr.state.oh.us (state. oh.us)

Fred Strahorn

Minority Whip

77 S.

High St

14th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 466-2960

Fax : (614) 719-6940

Email Address: district40@ohr.state.oh.us (state. oh.us)

Mike Foley

Assistant Minority Whip

77 S.

High St

14th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 466-3350

Fax : (614) 719-3910

Email Address: district14@ohr.state.oh.us (state. oh.us)

Isn't this just horrible? I wrote a letter to both representatives. I think we should fight the crime, not stick our heads in the sand and ignore dog fighting. It is a crime that needs to be punished just like any other crime. Ohio can have the misery of puppy mills, but we can ban an entire breed of dog b/c of bad people? We need to fight crime and educate people!

People who want this bill to pass are complete idiots. It is an entire breed of dog. Some are part of a family! You can't just take them away you heartless people. You all should just be banned from Earth. Many other breeds attack people too but you don't hear about that do you? No, you hear what the media wants you to hear and b/c your so dumb, you believe it. Pits can be used for search and rescue and also as companion dogs. Learn about the breed before you open your dumb mouth.

Here is another link...

http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=3506

I say make the punishment for dog fighting more! It is like banning a human race because of a few bad people. It is ridiculous. If the punishment was strict enough, I bet dog fighting would be a lot less. How can you be too lazy to write a letter? Just send an e-mail at least geez. If you ban the breed, it isn't going to help. The bad people will still be bad, still fight dogs. This will only hurt good people with good dogs.

Why can't people just understand that it is not the breed it is the owners. Don't ban everyone from owning this beautiful breed. I had a pit bull and he was a GREAT dog. They need to crack down on the drug houses and the cons. If they want why don't they make people have to go through a background check before giving them a pit bull. Then they can check up on the owner from time to time and make sure they are not doing the wrong thing. Yes this dog breed has a bad rep, i know this my own father kept telling me to shoot my pit because he was going to turn on my kids. He never even growled at them. I still never took my eyes off the dog and my kids I still don't take my eye off my dog and my kids now and my dog is full grown and weighs 8 pounds. I wish people would research this breed. They are such good fighting dogs because they will do anything to please. They can be good pets.

I can't wait to see what happens when these criminal idiots start fighting Labradors and other "family" type dogs. Are we going to end up a country with no dogs at ALL just because ignorant law officials decide to punish the dogs and not the bad owners of them?

I'll hop on and join the fight against this idiocy. My relatives live in Ohio - none of them have "pit bull" dogs but if i ever get one i would like to be able to visit my family...

I would also like to add that if these people are what we look to for safety, then i sure as hell don't feel safe. If we're killing dogs because of the breed and we aren't focusing on the owners of these dogs, then who's to say idiots won't go out and train their pet Lab to attack us? Who's to say they won't switch to a family pet, just so they can escape prosecution?

Add - Nothing against Labs but they are a common family dog. Easy enough to hide in a home then use later for dog fighting or other illegal activities.

Add 2 - If they really want to help, instead of banning ownership why not just put tabs on all the dogs found or brought in? That way we know where the dogs are, who owns them, what they are doing, etc... We could also put some sort of limit or law on breeding, so only those truly interested in breeding and bettering the breed would be able to breed these dogs - and those breeders would have to spay/neuter pups they sell AND screen homes (no dogs to convicted criminals, no dogs for the wrong people who want to buy for the wrong reasons, etc.) It isn't too far fetched seeing as they want to KILL every single dog....

Source(s): Owned by Mutt
  • ®

I'll be more than glad to join you on your ban wagon.

I'd bet these people that are trying to ban the Pits have never had any personal dealings or interaction with one of the breed.

I live in Ohio & my daughter has two Pits that are ages 5 & 6 years old.Both dogs are inside pets & have been raised their entire lives with two girls ages 5 & 7 years old. Not once have there been any issues between the girls & their beloved dogs.

People's ignorance to the breed never ceases to amaze me.

• mapma

Any dog can be or become dangerous and vicious.Was not that long ago people thought German Shepard, Spitz , Pincher's,were vicious. Any dog can be trained to attack. I know some little dogs I wouldn"t go near either.

I think that Petie from the little Rascals was a Pit bull.

• CoCo

Good for you for getting the word out on this!!!

I don't live in Ohio, but I am glad to see that people are working AGAINST BSL!!!

Keep up the good work!

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated."

-Ghandi

"Safety Dawg" - well, since these "vicious" dogs attack so much, hopefully you'll be the next one mauled/killed, so nobody else has to listen to or look at YOUR ugly self. Have a nice day @$$hole.

No. I tried to sign a petition, but there wasn't one on that site. I'm too lazy to write a letter.

It's unfortunate that some bad dog owners had to ruin it for all pit bull owners. I guess you have to ask yourself what other options the legislators had. You say the ban will drive dog fighting underground. Um..... isn't it already underground? And why wouldn't they be punished if they were caught?

How would you propose to solve the problem?

i will enlist in the fight to make this law happen. too many times in ohio, we read of a child, elderly person, and even some owners, getting mauled by these viscious animals. and not only that...they are god awful UGLY dogs...lol