For people who spell God as "G-d" - could you use alternate languages and be respectful?

Such as "Dios" in spanish or "Gott" in german? Or do you have to blank out the vowells on any word.

Also, why blank our vowells? Is "Go-" acceptable?

And have you ever read Harry Potter and does the who "g-d" thing remind you a bit of He Who Must Not Be Named?

• Best Answer

The concern really only applies to the Tetragrammaton, the sacred name. Language is incredibly, profoundly significant in Judaism, it creates and shapes our worlds. "And G-d spoke" is an amazing insight into perception.

Like everything in Judaism, there are always several meanings to a practice. Avoiding the disrespect of discarding the written Name is one. (Old prayer books and Torah scrolls are buried, much as one must eventually bury beloved friends.)

Just as important is the reminder that we can never truly name or fully comprehend G-d. Our language is far too limited. That space we put around writing and speaking the name reinforces this understanding. It's a neat bit of theology when you really think about it.

Yes, the reason we write G-d as "G-d" is there is a concept in Judaism that G-d's actual name bears holiness no matter what the language it is spoken or written. There is also a concept of not defiling or disrespecting His name (you may notice some Jews also capitalize "He", "His" or "Him" when referring to G-d as well)

For this reason we don't want to write it down by spelling it out in case it gets discarded and end up in the trash.

Second, we don't blank out the vowels in every word as it would then be impossible to convey anything sensible "f y wrte lke ths ll th tm"

Third, the reason we write it as "G-d" and not "Go-" is because it would then say "go" where as "G-d" clearly means G-d.

And I like your Harry Potter reference but it's a bit different as to we have no problem SAYING G-d, it's just the writing it down that we try to be careful about

Good question though!

Source(s): Many years at Hebrew school

It's vowels because Hebrew displays the consonants one way and the vowels another.

• Jewish answerers have given the reason for not using the name in its entirety.

As far as why the vowel, I've heard it explained that it is because ancient Hebrew *has* no vowels.

I'm not any kind of monotheist, but when I am writing of Judaism, I will write "G-d", for Christianity "God", Islam "Allah" and for myself I speak of "my gods".

I use them simply as a sign of respect for that religion's conception of their deity. It's *their* deity, not mine, and they have a right to declare what is the proper way of showing respect.

Source(s): hard polytheistic henotheist

I tend to spell out god. God is not a name. Its a title. Someone is a god they are not named God. But in fairness to those who do refuse to spell it out, they are doing so out of respect for the third commandment. "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain"

Whats interesting about that is that the third commandment probably had more to do with contracts then with everyday speech. Before lawyers and paper, contracts were made as oaths. People would swear in the name of god to carry out their part. Failure to keep their oath was taking the name of the lord in vain.

To some religions, writing "G-d" is supposed to be a sign of respect. Perhaps you didn't know this, but you might have unwittingly offended some people here. If you're a Christian, that was not a very tolerant or "Christian" thing to say.

I was taught to write G-d as a sign of respect. As other posters mentioned, you don't want to use a piece of paper and then crumple it up - it's disrespectful.

One of my first Hebrew school teachers, Rabbi Goder, told us that if we ever wrote out the full three letters, just add 'er' and we would be writing about HIM! (I miss that man - he was funny and a great teacher!)

G-d is used in writing so that if the paper (or other item) that has G-d written on it becomes defiled (torn, ripped, etc.), G-d's holy name will not be defiled.

No, I respect him and would never defile is name.Christians do this every day and you ever hear me denouncing them. this appears just to be another bigot

• Unless it is specifically spelled out "%#@"; I am deeply offended.

I have no idea how %#@ was referred to before these characters were designed.

Source(s): Praise %#@