2late2be asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

if im doing mountain biking, what is better to count my burned calories, bike computer or heart rate monitor?

can you suggest me any?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hum...

A heart rate monitor is a very accurate guide to how strenuous an overall workout is. A HRM isn't perfect, though. For example, you may work exceedingly hard to go charging up a short hill. At the top of the hill, despite the fact you are breathing deeply and your legs are burning, you may find your HRM showing a very low pulse. This is because it takes a while for your heart to catch up with your increased level of exertion. Likewise, at the end of a long period of exertion, your heart will still be pounding even when you are finished. (In these cases, a power meter is much more accurate. However, power meters are exceedingly expensive.) On average, a HRM will give you a good indication of your workout.

A calorie counter that uses either your heart rate or power output (along with your age, gender and weight) will give you a decent idea of how strenuous your workout is. However, as others have pointed out, a calorie counter that just looks at speed and distance is not going to be very accurate or helpful.

You really need to do some thinking about how you want to use an HRM before buying one. Some of the things to consider are:

- do you only want an HRM for cycling or do you run, kayak, skip rope, etc? If only for the bike, you may want a handlebar unit. Otherwise, you will want a wristwatch type unit.

- if you use it only on the bike, you may want one that is both a cyclocomputer and HRM.

- do you want to use it on one bike or multiple bikes? For one bike you may want a handlebar mounted unit. Otherwise, you may want a wristwatch type unit or one that you can buy multiple mounts for. (If wheel sizes are different, though, and you want to use it as a cyclocomputer it must

handle multiple bikes.)

- do you want to be able to download data to your computer? An HRM with a computer interface is much more expensive.

- do you want altitude, and GPS along with HRM? Now you are talking real expensive.

Anyhow, while it is interesting to know how hard you worked out, to effectivly use a HRM in training, you need to read something like: "The Cyclist's Training Bible" by Joe Friel. Joe Friel is a top notch trainer and in this book he lays out the theory and practice of conditioning and using a HRM. (Here is a tip: for best conditioning, you don't need or want to go full out all the time.)

Hope this helps.

• 1 decade ago

I'd say the heart rate monitor is more accurate. Reason being that your bike computer assumes a certain level of fitness based on your inputted age, weight and speed, while the heart rate monitor has a far better idea of how much exertion your body is putting out.

Example:

Let's say you are riding downhill at a crazy fast speed with the wind at your back. Your cycling computer will say you are burning a bajillion calories while in reality you have your feet up over the handlebars just coasting. The HRM will show that you're not working that hard and therefore burning fewer calories.

In reality, both of these devices provide only an estimate for the number of calories burned based on a number of assumptions, but even a basic estimate can be useful in training.

Polar and Cateye are two major brands that make both cycling computers and heart rate monitors.

Good luck and keep riding.

• 1 decade ago

If you are counting calories, I'll assume you're trying to lose weight. If that's the case, you can save money because you really don't need a bike computer or a HRM. For losing weight, just count hours of steady exertion. It's odd, but for losing weight, you're better off with long & steady rides rather than short & intense rides. So, just get a wrist watch, or sun dial and count hours of spinning.

Depending on body type and level of exertion, you're probably burning 600-800 calories per hour. Figuring that it takes 3500 calories to equal a pound of body weight, you can lose 1 lb for every 5 hours of mountain biking. Of course, that assumes you're consuming the exact number of calories required to otherwise maintain your body weight.

• 3 years ago

you have countless strategies counting on how plenty you opt to spend. you will get a uncomplicated coronary heart fee video show for $30. i've got used a Polar CS200 ($one hundred fifty), which had each and every of the valuable properties you stated, minus the satellite tv for pc Navigation. The Garmin 305 has each and every of the valuable properties, mutually with satellite tv for pc Navigation, yet they run approximately $350. All of those strategies will artwork with any bike. many times the sensors are geared up right into a band you place on around your chest. you will be certain on the quantity you're prepared to spend, and the valuable properties you go with, and take your bike to the bike keep. they may be useful you with looking the suitable form and would deploy it for you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Hi

I use both, but the HRM helps me keep peddling harder because whenever I see that my heart rate slowed down lower than 80% I peddle harder.

• 1 decade ago

all.

bike hard, play computer harder, and while doing those things monitor your heart rate...

and if you are a married person, or at least of legal age, sex is a must!...

Source(s): 1. malakaayo, sex guru 2. arianov, bike and sex guru
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.