How many times, in a 24 hour period, can a truck driver go into off duty status in his/her logbook?

His gate times must match. His fuel ticket times have to match. The times he arrives at his destinations must match up with his log book. How can you do your log book based on BOTH time and miles?

Favorite Answer

The maximum amount of time you can DRIVE in a day is 11 hours, then you have to take at least 10 hours off before you can drive again. You can be on duty for UP TO 14 hours. HOWEVER...the hours that you have available to you for that day are based on how many hours you had 8 days before (on duty time + drive time = total hours). For example, today is Tuesday, May 27th. Eight days before on Monday, May 19th, you had 7 hours. So, today you have UP TO 7 hours total (on-duty + drive time), but NOT OVER 7 hours. Let's say you only use 5 hours. Those remaining two hours will roll over to the next day, NOT to exceed 14 hours total on duty (11 hours driving).

When you go to pick-up or drop-off a load (assuming that it's no-touch), after you stop, you have to log at least 15 minutes still on-duty before you can log yourself as off-duty while getting loaded/unloaded. That also applies to when you're scaling.

As far as making the times match up with the logbook, the logbook times are logged in 15 minute increments. After 7 minutes, you round up to the next 15-minute block. I'm not exactly sure why there's an issue with the fuel tickets matching the logbook. Maybe he had a crappy teacher in driving school that didn't properly explain it? Fuel stops are logged as on-duty, and if he's filling out the fuel ticket, it's going to ask for the time, gallons, etc. which should match with the time in his logbook since it usually takes about 15 minutes to fill up (unless there's a line). So, he should still fall within that 15-minute block of time under normal circumstances.

The time it takes to travel between two points that are logged and flagged is divided by the miles that are logged at the end of the day. If your average speed is way less than the time logged (miles divided by time) then you have an error in your log. For example, if you logged that you traveled 1000 miles in ten hours then you travelled at an average speed of 100 miles an hour, which means you were likely trying to imitate Jerry Reed from "Smokey and the Bandit." :) Or, it means you made a mistake in either your miles or time. If your miles per hour are above XX (whatever the standard is for your company or your average speed from previous logs is, OR if it's just some ridiculous number), you will possibly be audited.

I hope all of this makes sense. I tried to explain it as easily as possible. My boyfriend drives for Swift and it took me FOREVER to figure out how all this works. I listed a link below in the source list. It's a book that comes highly recommended by my boyfriend - the JJ Keller FMCSR Pocketbook. Might come in handy to have on the truck. Hope all this helps at least a little!

Looks like 11 hours on and 10 hours off, but check it out for yourself -

http://www.cdldigest.com/hours_of_service/index.ht...

any time he is in his bunk or not responsible for truck or load