Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Can music be bad for you?

Can music be bad for you psychologically?

27 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Some music can influence behavior, but only if the listener allows it. For example, there's a lot of skin head bands, violent youths that use music as a vehicle for recruitment and an outlet for hate. But for the most part, music is a positive force in the universe. Many people find music can make them happy, uplifting, even listening to music with a depressing subject matter may help from the point of view of reminding a person they are not alone.

• 1 decade ago

Depends on what you mean by being bad for you psychologically. If you mean "can music make me depressed?", the answer is no. If you mean "can music contribute to negative behavior?" the answer is yes. Studies have shown that music can influence moods. This can be aiding, such as when calming music helps you relax, or aggression encouraging, such as when you listen to violent music while in a bad mood.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes. it definitely can. the music you listen to has motifs and messages that pour into your head, affecting your thoughts and the way you behave. music can be very influential.

if you listen to r&b often, you'll want to find a lover...if you listen to ghetto rap (mobb deep, tupac, bone thugs, tech n9ne) you might want to brawl and do lots of drugs.

some music might make you happy and confident in life, while other music can put you down. to answer your question: yes , in some cases music can be bad for you, but it heavily depends on the content of the music.

• 1 decade ago

I think it could be, there are a lot of songs that are very degrading. Everything around a person forms who they are mentally. At the same time, some music is very touching and deep, so it can be a good thing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

normally music is good and there are deep sad once that aren't good and can make you go to the deep dark thought and if you are naive enough you might cause problems or do bad things to yourself.

but psychologically good music are very healing, relaxing and joyfull

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Depends on the kind of music, and depends

on what you are doing as you listen to it. Even if you are not doing anything, heavy metal music is not advisable psychologically.

• 1 decade ago

It can be. I think it depends on what frame of mind the listener has when they hear it. There are some songs that I like because of the melody, but don't agree with the lyrics, but I choose not to pay attention to the lyrics.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes..anything can be bad for you if you over indulge. Especially if the music does not have a positive message.

• 1 decade ago

It actually depends. You see, if you listen to music that is calming to you it is, of course, good. But if you listen to music about drugs, sex and violence than it could have a harmful effect on people.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, it can. But remember the badly paraphrased quote from Hamlet: "Nothing is good or bad but that thinking made it so"

Music can heal, and it can hurt, but it depends on who's listening and what meaning they give to it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.