Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

In Spanish, why do they say "buenos noches"?

Why isn't it "bueno noche," or "bien noche"? Same thing for "buenos tardes" and other things like that.

Update:

Sorry, I meant "buenas noches." I know that it's feminine, I just forgot. The only thing I was wondering was why it was plural.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The plural comes from the old way of saying it "buenas noches nos de' Dios" which means "may God give us good nights" : one good night for you, another for your friend, another for me, and so on.

Don't say " bien noche" ; it sounds like "well night"

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

What Does Buenas Noches Mean

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avDsT

Bueno is an interesting word. Some people answer the phone saying "bueno?" and it's confusing at first. But I think the example you give makes perfect sense, she said "well, until next time" which is an expression we would use, no? It's just a useful way to mark the end of a topic and start a new one. From talking to you and the transitioning into her farewells. Claro is as far as I know an adjective which means clear, and also works as "clearly", "indeed", "of course".

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The correct one is Buenas nocheS. I don't find a reason as to why it has to be Buenas noches instead of buena noche, but it's the way it is. It sounds as if you were wishing good night for several nights. buenas tardes or buenos dias are also correct. It's not correct bien noche for the same reason as you don't say well night.

Source(s): i'm spanish
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its actually buenas noches. Its a formal way of saying hello.

Buenos dias - good morning

Buenas tardes - good afternoon

Buenas noches - good evening, good night

Source(s): Spanish speaker
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

In Spanish, why do they say "buenos noches"?

Why isn't it "bueno noche," or "bien noche"? Same thing for "buenos tardes" and other things like that.

Source(s): spanish quot buenos noches quot: https://tr.im/ofe55
  • 1 decade ago

It's buenas noches ...noche is feminine ..la noche, and all together las noches

To say bien noche will be like saying in English Well Evening...it does not sound well..does it ?

Buenas tardes , tarde is feminine, la tarde, plural las tardes therefore buenas tardes ( the adjective needs to be in agreement in gender and number with the noun, in this case tardes or noches ( feminine, plural)

Source(s): Translator / Native Spanish Speaker
  • KINO
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

You need say:

Buenas Noches. (Good Night)

Buenas Tardes (good afternoon)

• 1 decade ago

good night = buenas noches

• 7 years ago

That means good night in spanish. 😃

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.