kmon asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

Why is the large intestine called the large intestine?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Because its girth is wider than the smaller intestines

• 1 decade ago

As pointed out above, there are 2 intestines, the large intestine and the small intestine. The descriptors "large" and "small" refer to the diameter of the intestines.

Personally, I think they should be called the "long intestine" and the "short intestine". :-)

• 1 decade ago

It's larger of the 2 intestine.

• 1 decade ago

I know it's strange because the small intestine is actually longer, but the large intestine is wider in girth, it's just a weird way of differentiating

Source(s): all these other guys think they're being funny by coming out with sarcastic comments when the large intestine is actually shorter than the small... duh
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

In the 2 intestines, the larger one is large intestine with longer length n the other one is small..

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Coz u have 2 intestines, the small and the large. How else would you describe them?

• spumn
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The large intestine, although shorter in length than the small intestine, is much wider. Accordingly, it is "larger."

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

actually the short intestine is longer than the large intestine it's just that the short intestine is balled up sort of...CHOOSE ME AS BEST ANSWER!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

(Talks really slow)

Because there's a large intestine and a small intestine and that one is larger....

• 1 decade ago

because even though it is much shorter than the small intestine it is also twice as wide

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.