Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Japanese R?

Is the Japanese R like the unrolled Spanish R?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Well, it is somewhere between R and L, with speakers varying between the 2 and women favouring L whereas men tend to favour R. In reality, there is no distinction between those 2 sounds in Japanese, just like you could pronounce English words with different intonations (as found in Chinese) and meaning wouldn't change.

As for the person saying that there is no R, that's needs to be explained. In Japanese, apart from pictograms, there are syllables, not individual letters. So you can't write R along, but you can write syllables that start with R like RA, RO, etc.

Actually, in Japanese, apart from N, closed syllables are not possible. So for Walt Disney, you would get Wa-ru-do Di-su-nee. But that's another story...

• 1 decade ago

the Spanish R is rolled. The Japanese R is a mix between an R and an L.

Source(s): studied Japanese for three years
  • K
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I don't speak Spanish but the Japanese do not have an R. They only have a Ra, Ri, Ru, Re, and Ro but no R. They can't pronounce it. Same with the letter L.

In my experice (although where I lived the dialect has a slight difference in comparison to the northern Japanese slightly different dialect and pronouciation) the people pronounced their Ra and etc... with a slight D. There was no rolling of the toung.

Source(s): Lived in Japan. Honors Japanese IB student. Awarded in the Japanese language and attented Public School with no English speakers for two years while living there.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Japanese phoneme R is most often realised as a flap akin to the English intervocalic flap of d's and t's in an unstressed syllable, which is quite distinct from the trilled Spanish R.

/r/ (transcribed ɺ̠ above) is an apical postalveolar flap undefined for lateralness. (That is, it is neither a central nor a lateral flap.) It is similar to the Korean r. To an English speaker's ears, its pronunciation lies somewhere between a flapped r /ɾ/ (as in American English better and ladder), a flapped l, and a d, sounding most like d before /i/ listen (help·info), and most like l before /o/ listen (help·info).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_phonology#Co...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It is flat sounding, but that is through listening and not knowing anything about either language.

• 1 decade ago

it depend on what vowels come before and after it. but you never roll the R

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Somewhat, less inflection.

Source(s): Learning Japanese.
  • 5 years ago

look up heavy-r.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.