Lebanon! I need help!?

If there's anybody Lebanese, from Lebanon or who has been to Lebanon, I'm doing a project and I need to know what are the kinds of clothes worn there.

Also, what are some of the customs different from US?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

lol lebanon is pretty industrialized and modern, the capital city beirut is considered the paris of the east or whatever, and lebanese are known for their great sense in fashion if u watch arabic televsion the lebanese channels always have these fashion shows lol, they dress just like we dress here in the USA as do other countries in the middle east.

but of couse if u go to more rural areas u might see a little more traditional way of dress but im from a village and even there they wear jeans and tshirts lol

customs there tha are different from the USA, people are more friendly with each other and more hospitable with their guests than america is, i would know i live in america lol

but then again i wouldnt realy know any of this for sure i never been there and im not lebanese

ediT:

MNG she is asking about Lebanon not Jordan but whoaa thats alot of information lol

Source(s): random palestinian supposed to be studyin for exams :-P Edit: **SHOCK** the secret is out!! everyone knows who my secret lover is!
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hello there. I write to you from a far land, distant from any modern western culture, called Lebanon. Just today, while I was hunting with my spear made of cedar, I wore a (big) leaf around my groin with some yarn hiked up my crack to hold it in place. If I want to dress fancy, I find a flower and put it in my hair.

^^(sarcasm)

samsooma is right.

Source(s): me=samsooma's secret lover.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We wear jeans and t-shirts *gasps of shock*

there's nothing really different from the US in clothes... we have the brands : vans...converse...GAP...whatever.....

our clothes are just like yours...

....we have emos and punks....etc

different customs: we help others....like our neighbors....we give a **** about others....hospitality....we have really good food...

this may also come as a surprise to you: we have BUILDINGS..yes, and malls and ELECTRICITY!!

Source(s): lebanese...living in lebanon..
  • JOSH
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

It is like Europe my dear we have all the international brands!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Check out Wikipedia it is good info

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i personally prefer to be cloth-less =p

but samsooma is right

• 1 decade ago

Language

As you may already know, the official language of Jordan is Arabic. However, although there is a classical form of Arabic that is universal throughout the Middle East and North Africa, there are many local variations, depending on your place of origin. There are 28 letters in the Arabic language. Unlike western scripts, they are read from right to left. In addition, each letter has four variations, depending on its position in a certain word. It is used in all aspects of daily life including education, social events, and religious ceremonies.

Customs and Traditions

Jordan is a diverse country with many different cultures living together. They include Arabs, Circassians, Armenians, Kurds, Europeans, or Americans. However, one must not forget the heart of the country, the Bedouin and the Fellaheen. They were the original desert nomads who raised goats, sheep, and raised crops. Most have all but settled down, however.

Life in Jordan tends to center around the family. This is because the family is the most sacred social structure. In fact, Jordanian society revolves around an extended family, where grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins all usually live next door. In a typical day there may be total strangers walking freely in and out of your house, each contributing to the merriment. Therefore, the home in Jordan is more essential than in most western cultures. Education is another subject worth looking at. Let me be first to say that Jordanians do not take their education lightly! Because it is placed at the ABSOLUTE top of life's list of achievements, graduations are highly celebrated.

Of all the traditions in the country, this is the one that Americans find most hard to swallow. Whether you live in the north or the south, the rules concerning dating are the same. Two people are not allowed to date until they are officially engaged. This reflects on the serious intention to marry the person, which is the only purpose for dating in the first place. Because of this rule, conservative Muslim leaders have taken a firm stance against exposure to western culture. Along with these differences, Jordanians have another set of customs regarding death. Rule number 1: No flowers are sent to the deceased although a wreath maybe acceptable to accompany the casket to the cemetery. Secondly, there is a rigid separation of men and women. While both women and men may attend a funeral, only men are allowed to attend the burial. Immediately proceeding the death, there is an official mourning period of 40 days in which one should pay the bereaved family a visit of condolence. This is a sign of respect and it is just showing them that you are sorry. Omitting this step could lose you a lot of friends and respect. To show that they are in a state of sorrow, the family of the deceased must wear black clothing and refrain from music and dance. Also, women do not wear lipstick or any other makeup.

Depending on the level of formality, Jordanians greet themselves with a different gesture. Strangers are greeted with a handshake while family and well-known friends are given a similar version of the French and Belgian customs of a kiss on each cheek. This custom is immediately observable as it is very common.

Jordan is an Islamic country. Muslims constitute 93% of the country's population. Therefore, whether you are out in Amman or in a small village, you will hear the call to prayer 5 times a day. During Ramadan, Muslim devout observe a strict code of behavior. There is a fast from sunrise to sunset, during which not even water may be ingested. Unlike western countries, Friday is a day off for all Jordanians. As we will see in the next section, Islam has many dietary laws which are obeyed by most Jordanians.

Jordan is also 7% Christian. Sixty percent of Jordanian Christians follow the Greek Orthodox Church while 40% follow the Roman Catholic Church. Both churches have significant representation in Jordan. Living in cities such as Madaba, Amman, and Al-Karak, they peacefully coexist with their Islamic neighbors, living out their daily faith. However, holidays such as Easter and Christmas are not recognized by the government.

In general, Jordanian people are very friendly and enjoy having visitors. If you need any help with anything, they are very helpful and will enjoy keeping you company.

Food

Jordan is home to many crops. Such crops are include olives, figs, fruits, and many vegetables. This is a significant factor to the type of cooking present in the country. While in Jordan, you can safely expect to see a form of vegetable in every meal you eat. One exception is mansaf. Mansaf is the traditional (almost national) dish of Jordan. It consists of cooked rice that is heaped onto a circular tray, topped with chunks of boiled lamb. Sprinkled on this will be chopped meat, pine nuts, and blanched almonds. Wait ! Thats not all. There will be a rather large pot of specially prepared yoghurt sauce called laban that will be ladled to your dish at your request. While considered a Bedouin feast, mansaf is cooked during special occasions. Another important dish is hummus. This is an appetizing dish, made for breakfast usually. Here is a recipe:

2 cups canned chickpeas

Juice of one lemon

2 tablespoons tahini paste

1 tablespoon garlic

1/4 cup olive oil

Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

Drizzle of olive oil

Fresh pita bread

In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, combine the chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini paste, and garlic. Process until smooth. With the machine running, add the olive oil, a little at a time. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the humus in the center of a large platter. Drizzle the hummus with olive oil. Arrange the fresh pita bread around the hummus.

Yield: about 2 cups

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Difficulty: Easy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a recipe for Tabouleh, a mint and parsley salad:

1 cup fine burghul (crushed wheat)

1/2 cup finely chopped . mint

1 1/2 cups finely chopped parsley

1 cup finely chopped onions

3/4 cup chopped tomatoes (optional)

3/4 cup olive oil

1 cup lemon juice

Salt and pepper

Tabbouleh ranks along with kibbeh and hummus bi taheeni as the most popular Middle Eastern dishes. Tabbouleh parties are popular on summer afternoons. Soften burghul by soaking one hour in water, then drain well and press out the excess water. Mix burghul, onions, salt and pepper together, crushing onion juice into burghul with fingers. Add parsley, mint, oil, lemon juice, tomato and salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly, adding more lemon juice if necessary to give a tart flavor. Adjust salt to taste. Serve on lettuce leaves in individual dishes, or use tender lettuce heart leaves, cabbage leaves and vine leaves as scoops to eat the tabbouleh. In Jordan tabbouleh is generally served on a large platter and decorated with chopped tomatoes. The vegetable leaves are served on a separate dish in an attractive way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are certain dietary rules in Jordan. Muslims are not allowed to eat any form of pork (including lard, ham, bacon, or sausages). Also on the no-no list is alcohol. Islamic law prohibits the use of alcohol, wine, liquor, or any kind of spirit. Therefore, it is a good idea to plan menus with these laws in mind.

Music

Music is a age old tradition of Jordan, ranging from the traditional folk song to the energizing dabke. Music is a sign of happiness. Therefore it is usually played during weddings and other festivities. However, during a time of mourning, it is not appropriate at all. The two most famous instruments are the 'ud (seen at top of page) and the dirbakke, a cylidrical drum. Jordan is not famous for its singers and composers. Therefore most songs are imported from Lebanon or Egypt. There are many singers in those areas who are very famous in Jordan, whose songs are played during engagements and wedding parties. Some well-known singers are Amr Diab (Egyptian), Najwa Karam (Lebanese), and Diana Haddad (Lebanese). Click on the Singer below to hear a song from their selection. You must have Real Player to hear them.

Source(s): Google .... pick up the stuff u need .. good luck =)
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.