Summer reading?

Hi. I'm fourteen and I want to know what books I should read for summer reading. Some of my favorite books are the Maximum Ride series, the Cirque du Freak series, Harry Potter series, Twilight series, Vampire Kisses series, and Inkheart. I like vampire books, but I also like to have different fantasy books so that I can read a variety of books. Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

Madeleine L'Engle:

A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Many Waters, and An Acceptable Time.

Michael Molloy:

The Witch Trade, The Time Witches, and The Wild West Witches.

Herge (a.k.a. Georges Prosper Remi):

The Adventures of Tintin (24 volumes)

Cornelia Funke:

Dragon Rider, Thief Lord, and Ingraine the Brave, Inkspell

Brandon Mull:

Fablehaven, Rise of the Evening Star, and Grip of the Shadow Plague.

Katherine Paterson: Bridge to Terabithia

Orson Scott Card: Seventh Son

Carol Kendall:

The Gammage Cup (One of my favorites when I was young)

The Whisper of Glocken

Eoin Colfer:

Artemis Fowl, The Arctic Incident, The Opal Deception, The Lost Colony, The Artemis Fowl Files: A Companion Book, and The Graphic Novel.

Andre Norton:

The Witch World, The Web of the Witch World, Three against the Witch World, Year of the Unicorn, Warlock of the Witch World, Dragon Scale Silver, Dream Smith, The Toads of Grimmerale, Spider Silk, Sword of Unbelief, and Sarsthor's Bane.

Ursula K. LeGuin:

Earthsea, A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore, Tehanu, Tales from Earthsea, The Other Wind, Gifts, Voices, and Powers.

Diana Wynne Jones:

The Chronicles of Chrestomanci - Volume I includes Charmed Life and The Lives of Christopher Chant; Volume II includes Witch Week, The Magicians of Caprona, and Mixed Magics. Howl's Moving Castle

T. A. Barron:

Tree Girl

The Lost Years of Merlin Epic - The Lost Years of Merlin, The Seven Songs of Merlin, The Fires of Merlin, The Mirror of Merlin, and The Wings of Merlin.

The Adventures of Kate - Heartlight, The Ancient One, and The Merlin Effect.

The Great Tree of Avalon Trilogy - Child of the Dark Prophecy, Shadows on the Stars, and The Eternal Flame.

Merlin's Dragon Trilogy - Merlin's Dragon Basilgarrad

Tamora Pierce:

The Song of the Lioness Series - Alanna: The First Adventure, In the Hand of the Goddess, The Woman Who Rides Like a Man, and Lioness Rampant.

Protector of the Small Series - First Test, Page, Squire, and Lady Knight

Frank Beddor: The Looking Glass Wars and Seeing Redd

Michael Ende: Night of Wishes and The Neverending Story

Mary Stewart: A Walk in the Wolf Wood

Howard Pyle:

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood

Story of King Arthur and His Knights - There are several collections of stories about King Arthur.

C. S. Lewis:

Chronicles of Narnia - The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; and The Last Battle.

Philip Pullman:

His Dark Materials - The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass.

Meg Cabot:

Mediator Series - Shadowland, Ninth Key, Reunion, Darkest Hour, Haunted, and Twilight.

Anne McCaffrey: (a.k.a. Anne Geddes)

Dragonsong Trilogy - Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums.

Chris D'Lacey:

The Fire Within, Icefire, Fire Star, and The Fire Eternal.

Donita K. Paul:

Dragonspell, Dragon Quest, Dragon Knight, Dragon Fire, and Dragon Light.

Elizabeth A. Lynn:

Dragon's Winter and Dragon's Treasure.

E. E. Knight:

Age of Fire Series - Dragon Champion, Dragon Avenger, and Dragon Outcast.

Brian Jacques:

Redwall Series - Redwall, Mossflower, Mattimeo, Mariel of Redwall, Salamandastron, Martin the Warrior, The Bellmaker, Outcast of Redwall, The Pearls of Lutra, The Long Patrol, Marlfox, The Legend of Luke, Lord Brocktree, The Taggerung, Triss, Loamhedge, Rakkety Tam, and High Rhulain.

Joanne Harris: Runemarks

Juliet Marillier: Wildwood Dancing and Cybele's Secret

George MacDonald:

Phantastes and At the Back of the North Wind

Edwin A. Abbott:

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions (The sequel, Sphereland is by Dionys Burger. It is possible to purchase both in one volume.)

J. R. R. Tolkien:

The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, Two Towers, and The Return of the King; Silmarillion; also Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

D. J. MacHale:

Pendragon Series - Merchant of Death, The Lost City of Faar, The Never War, The Reality Bug, Blackwater, The Rivers of Zadaa, The Quillan Games, The Pilgrims of Rayne, and Raven Rise.

Christopher Paolini:

In the first book, Eragon, a young man finds a mysterious blue stone in the forested mountains above his home in Alagaesia. Along with his blue dragon, Saphira, Eragon is stumbling about because things are happening to him which he does not understand. His inner goodness and common sense enable him to muddle through and he has some help from a couple of humans and some dwarfs. In the second book, Eldest, the dwarfs, elves, humans, Eragon, and Saphira have joined forces against evil. Eragon and Saphira have begun training to understand and improve their skills. A new, red dragon makes an appearance. I've been told that in the third book a golden dragon will appear. It has just been announced that the third book, Brisingr, will be available on September 20, 2008. Originally planned as a trilogy, Paolini has recently decided that there will be four books in his Inheritance Cycle.

John Beachem:

Storms of Vengeance is John's first novel and I've been told that it is part of a series of 8 to 10 books. There is a murder mystery to be solved. Who did it and why? There is a mythical Lorradda Stone to locate. There are three parallel stories as we follow the actions of three different groups of people. There are also some ogres, two elves, several sorcerers, a troll, and one very impressive river monster. The book ends with a cliff hanger. One reason that young people gave for liking Harry Potter was the detail in the stories. They will find plenty of detail here as well. The title of the second book in the series will be The Hunter and the Marked.

David Eddings:

There are three stories in Volume I of The Belgariad: Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, and Magician's Gambit. Volume II of The Belgariad has two stories: Castle of Wizardry and Enchanters' End Gambit. If you are looking for grand adventure and plenty of detail it is here. Some may object to the slow progression and limited action of this tale. A sorcerer and his daughter, a sorceress, have gathered together a group of individuals to fight evil. It seems that the particular make-up for this group is necessary based upon an ancient prophecy. The group includes: the Nimble Thief, the Man with Two Lives, the Blind Man, the Dreadful Bear, the Knight Protector, the Horse Lord, the Bowman, the Queen of the World, and the Mother of the Race that Died. A young boy named Garion, who was raised by his Aunt Pol, is caught up in all of this, though he doesn't know why. But then, is she really his Aunt? There is so much detail that I have not as yet confirmed there are no mistakes in the mapping of the story. I thoroughly enjoyed The Belgariad and look forward to reading the sequel, The Mallorean.

The Mallorean Volume I: Guardians of the West, King of the Murgos, and Demon Lord of Karanda by David Eddings

The Mallorean Volume II: Sorceress of Darshive and The Seeress of Kell by David Eddings

Polgara, the Sorceress by David Eddings

Belgarath, the Sorcerer by David Eddings

Terry Pratchett:

The Wee Free Men - Tiffany Aching and a clan of six inch tall blue men (pictsies) attempt to rescue her little brother and stop an invasion from Fairyland.

A Hatful of Sky - The second Tiffany Aching novel.

Wintersmith - The third Tiffany Aching novel.

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents (Discworld)

Other books in the Discworld Series - The Colour of Magic, Witches Abroad, Sourcery, Wyrd Sisters, Thief of Time, Small Gods, and Mort.

Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett: Good Omens

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman:

Dragonlance Chronicles - Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning, and Dragons of Summer Flame.

Dragonlance Legends Trilogy - Time of the Twins, War of the Twins, and Test of the Twins.

Jonathan Stroud:

Bartimaeus Trilogy - The Amulet of Samarkand, The Golem's Eye, and Ptolemy's Gate.

Isaac Asimov:

Though Asimov is usually thought of as a science fiction writer, Magic is a collection of his fantasy short stories.

Jim Butcher:

The Dresden Files - Storm Front, Fool Moon, Grave Peril, Summer Knight, Death Masks, Blood Rites, Dead Beat, Proven Guilty, White Knight, and Small Favor.

Terry Brooks:

The Sword of Shanarra, The Elfstones of Shanarra, and The Wishsong of Shanarra.

Mercedes Lackey:

The Mage Winds Trilogy - Winds of Fate, Winds of Change, and Winds of Fury.

Velgarth Series - Exile's Honor, Exile's Valor, Take a Thief, Arrors of the Queen, Arrow's Flight, and Arrow's Fall

Diana Tregarde Trilogy - Burning Water, Children of the Night, and Jinx High.

Roger Zelazny:

The First Chronicles of Amber - Nine Princes in Amber, The Guns of Avalon, Sign of the Unicorn, The Hand of Oberon, and The Courts of Chaos.

The Second Chronicles of Amber - Trumps of Doom, Blood of Amber, Sign of Chaos, Knight of Shadows, and Prince of Chaos.

Richard Adams: Watership Down

George Orwell: Animal Farm

Richard Bach: Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Bob Chapman: Visitors

David Gemmell: Waylander and In the Realm of the Wolf

Libba Bray:

A Great and Terrible Beauty - Gemma Doyle grew up in India, but after the death of her mother the 16 year old is sent to Spence Academy in London. It is the Victorian Age and these young ladies are being trained for their future roles as wives to men they may not want to marry. As so many have experienced, initially she is an unwelcome outsider. Eventually, she makes friends with three girls and together they explore Gemma's superna

Historical Fiction:

Both Sides of Time series- Caroline B. Cooney (also romance)

Bloody Jack series-L. A. Meyer (also adventure)

If I Should Die Before I Wake- Han Nolan

The Great and Terrible Beauty series- Libba Bray (also fantasyish fiction)

The Other Boleyn Girl- Philippa Gregory

The Queen’s Fool- Philippa Gregory

The Book Thief- Markus Zusak

Fantasyish Fiction

Twilight series- Stephenie Meyer (also romance)

The Mediator series- Meg Cabot (also romance)

Avalon High- Meg Cabot (sorta)

Uglies series-Scott Westerfeld

Midnighters series- Scott Westerfeld

Fiction:

All American Girl- Meg Cabot

The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things - Carolyn Mackler

Fly on the Wall- E. Lockhart

Megan Meade’s Guide to the McGowan Boys- Kate Brian

Lucky T- Kate Brian

The Five People You Meet in Heaven- Mitch Albom

My Sister’s Keeper- Jodi Picoult

Change of Heart- Jodi Picoult

The Da Vinci Code- Dan Brown

Romance:

The Angels Trilogy- Lurlene Mcdaniel

The Pact- Jodi Picoult

The Notebook- Nicholas Sparks

Mystery:

Stranger With My Face- Lois Duncan

Down A Dark Hall- Lois Duncan

Locked in Time-Lois Duncan

Any book by R.L Stine

Non- Fiction

A Child Called It- Dave Pelzer

Who Killed My Daughter- Louis Duncan

The House of Night Series is amazing! The first one is called Marked. Another good book is Blue Bloods, and it is also part of a series. Both of these series are about vampires.

Stephenie Meyer has a new book called The Host, which I haven't read yet, but I'm sure it's just as amazing as the Twilight series.

• ALEXIS

Here are some of my favorites:

Neil Gaiman is an amazing author!

Any books by Scott Westernfeld or Neal Shusterman are really good too.

Any books by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes are amazing! There is In The Forest of The Night, Demon In My View, Shattered Mirror, Midnight Predator. And then there is the The Kiesha'ra series: Hawksong (the best in the series!), Snakecharm, Falcondance, Wolfcry and Wyverhail.

Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

13 Little Blue Envelopes and Girl At Sea by Maureen Johnson

Abarat by Clive Barker, Make sue you get the hardcover version though!!! If you liked the first one be sure to check out the next book in the series Abarat: Days of Magic, Nights of War.

Daughters of Destiny series: Keeper of the Winds by Jenna Solitaire, If you enjoyed the first one check out the next three books in the series. Keeper of the Waters, Keeper of the Flames and Keeper of the Earth.

The Abhorsen Trilogy (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen) by Garth Nix

His Dark Materials trilogy (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman

A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels and The Far Sweet Thing by Libba Bray

The Riddles of Epsilon by Christine Morton-Shaw

The Cry of the Icemark by Stuart Hill, If you liked this one, check out the next two Blade of Fire and The Last Battle of the Icemark.

The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray by Chris Wooding

The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke

Holes by Louis Sanchar

The Morganville Vampire series (Glass Houses, Dead Girls Dance, Midnight Alley and Feast of Fools) by Rachel Cain

The Inheritance Trilogy by Christopher Paolini

The Chronicles of Narnia (7 books) by C.S. Lewis

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien

Impulse by Ellen Hopkins

The Secret Under My Skin by Janet McNaughton

Uglies series by Scott Westernfeld

The Wind Singer, Slaves of the Mastery and Firesong by William Nicholson

The Sight by David Clement-Davies

Source(s): Enjoy!

I would read Anne Rice's series. The first book is Interview with a vampire. :D Its awesome!!!!

Also I'm reading The daughters of the moon they are about 4 girls who have powers, and they are trying to destroy the Atrox, while living in LA trying to keep their powers under wraps.

Ahh and I can't wait for Breaking Dawn!!! August is to far to wait!! Twilight is my favorite book :]

• My sister's daughter (12) is into those books as well, and I just handed her "The Next Big Thing" by Johanna Edwards. It is a little far-fetched, but I LOVED it and so did she although she isn't a fan of that genre.

Vampire academy maybe? My niece liked that one too.

I would say read these two books: The host: it is sort of like the twilight series and Vampire High it is great

please answer my question http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AnQ7w...

For I teen I recommend Meg Cabot's young adult books. She is the best author. Also best selling. She wrote tons of books including the Princess Diaries (Movies based on her books), Mediator (upcoming movie), 1-800-Missing (TV show based on her books), Jinx, and more. She has adult books too, so you can grow with her.

If you want more info or meg cabot's website email me.

For spiritual reading on the lighter side read:

"IF YOU WANT TO WALK ON WATER, YOU'VE GOT TO GET OUT OF THE BOAT"

BY jOHN oRTBERG...

It's about taking risks, and chances, and getting the most out of your life.... being 14 you are at the perfect age to get alot out of this book because it's not filled w/ difficult words, or hard to imagine concepts.

0_o you just named all of my favorite books. it's just kinda creepy. anysways if you like them, i'd go for the sequel to ink heart, inkspell, and actually i think you'd love tomora pierce's books. especially trickster's queen. you may also like Dragon rider. it was anther good book written by cornelia funke. um...the blue blood series.The magic or madness trilogy. there are a lot more but i'm pretty sure this is fine for now. ^^;;;