If I get an FHA loan to buy an owner-occupied multifamily residence, how long must I stay?

If I buy and then move out of a previously owner-occupied multifamily residence secured with a FHA loan and rent the whole thing, will I need to refinance the loan? If 'not necessarily', how long must I stay before I can leave and not have to refi the loan? I am interested in buying a multifamily residence that I can live in while I go to graduate school so I can save a little money in housing costs without having to rent. I currently own a single-family house and would sell that prior to moving into the theoretical mulitfamily residence. I would probably need to apply for some form of downpayment assistance too, but would have about $5000 of my own money after my house sells (given a modest asking price).

I just want to know a general answer re:FHA. If a small multifamily residence is previously owner-occupied and becomes a 100% investment property at some later date (ie I want to leave), do the FHA guidelines require that you refinance out of the loan since it is not owner-occupied? FHA is for owner-occupied residences.

Favorite Answer

Believe it or not, there is no specific time limit, and you are not required to refinance if you move out.

A good rule of thumb might be to stay for at least a year.

If and when you do move out, contact your home insurance company so the policy can be ammended to reflect that it is a rental property. It will raise the premium but it will cover your rear end.

Source(s): real estate broker loan officer

Kelly your lender can answer these questions. We have no way of knowing what the terms of that loan would be. And it would only be a guess at best. While a some lenders on this venue could give you some idea, you would receive accurate information from your lender.

Source(s): appraiser/realtor

there isn't any set length of time. you're able to purchase a distinctive abode at any time...even if you could least complicated have a million proprietor occupied abode mortgage...Your 2d abode will require a greater robust down value, especially 20%.