I received a ltter from the internal revenue service stating we would be receiving a stimulus check for1200.00

not that I am complaining, but we owe the irs, we have been on a paymnt plan with them where they take money out of our account every single month. says that the check will be mailed on May 30th. Are we really going to get one owing back taxes? or is this just a standard letter that goes out to everyone before they actually mail them?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Letter you received from the IRS was to inform you how much Stimulus payment you qualified for. The IRS is required by law to apply Stimulus payment first to any outstanding tax liability, then to any other defaulted federal debt, like student loans, and any back child support. If only the fact that you have an outstanding tax liability then the IRS will apply the Stimulus payment there. If any money is left after the tax liability is paid in full the IRS will mail you a check for the balance. You can visit www.irs.gov or call the IRS at (800) 829-1040 to confirm my answer.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You may get a stimulus of that amount. But if you owe taxes, they will apply it to your debt. If you owe less than $1200, you get the difference in a check.

So, you still "get" the stimulus payment...it's just that they'll be deciding what you do with it, if you still owe them money.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Unfortunately that's the letter telling you the amount you are eligible for - there will be another letter telling you they are taking it for the back taxes.

The good news is that you'll have that much more paid off, so will have the whole amount paid off a little sooner.

• 1 decade ago

Dave is right. Ive been going to the IRS website for the past month and it states they will pay any back taxes with it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

you will receive this rebate check,this Stimulus Rebate was a way of Bush saying Sorry for destroy Americans Life has nothing to do with the Regular Refunds...that why Gov, call a Rebate

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Your stimulus check has nothing to do with your debt. I t is based on your last filing. Yes, a letter is sent out before the check.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Dave is right and so is Amy c

• 1 decade ago

just curious.....what social security number group are you in,cause I haven't even received my 2nd letter yet.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.