Canada- How the World views Canada?

I am doing a report on US-Canada relations and how Canada is viewed in the world. From articles I have read on the internet and even from the answers I see on Yahoo Answers. I am not Canadian or American.

Detailed answers are appreciated and give some thought and read the full question before answering. There will be a lot of additional details as there is not enough space.

So to Canadians, how do you feel about the statements below, these are some of the statements that have been used to describe Canadians, in the articles I have read. I would appreciate if you could give an answer to each statement separately and also if this is what you think is being said about your country. As I am looking for a world view on this, I will be posting this on a few Yahoo Answers around the world. So to non-Canadians is this how you see or think of Canadians.

1) Canada is Bland,

2) Living in the shadow of the US

3) Preoccupied with pointing out they are not Americans

4) Obsessed with America’s lack of knowledge of Canada and Canadians. Always trying to get America’s attention

5) Canada has not made any significant contribution to the world OR are not noticed at all on the international level

6) Has a Good economy because of America’s economy

7) Is Protected militarily by the US

7) Canada does not have an army OR that even Vatican City would be able to invade Canada

8) Canada is cold all year round

9) Canada’s only identity is that they are not American, they define themselves with how different they are from Americans

10) Major inferiority complex to the Americans

11) Not Patriotic, with Canadians not wanting to sing or do not know their own country’s national anthem.

12) Know about history of the US more than Canada’s history.

13) Canada is a funny country

14) Canada is irrelevant to the world

15) Only reason why Canada is one of the best countries to live in is because it does not have the responsibilities of a SuperPower with the US to protect them.

17) Canada contributes very little to the world politics and is not a big player until when needed for something

18) Canadians are smug and self-righteous as stated by Gordon Sinclair.

19) Canada’s relationship with the US has defined Canada

20) Canada a nation of losers

I would like to thank all those who bothered to answer in point form. I apologise if I offended Canadians but these are some of the perceptions or misconceptions of Canadians and wanted the opinions of Canadians and the rest of the world.

Best Answer

My reaction to what you heard:

1) Canada is Bland,

Canada is an enormous, diverse country full of spectacular scenery and people from almost every nationality on the planet, that for the most part, get along just fine. That's not bland, that's a global treasure.

2) Living in the shadow of the US

Canada is an independent nation with different values than the USA. So the idea that we are living in your shadow is a matter of perspective. Canadians don't want a U.S. style military or your style of foreign policy. We do things different here, our own way, and that is the very definition of independence.

You better believe I'm not American. I am as proud to be Canadian as any American is proud to be American. So what's wrong with that? If somebody thought you were a Canadian, you'd correct them, wouldn't you?

It's not an obsession. We find it amusing more than offensive.

Wow, where do I start? Medical technology, free trade with a large number of countries, aerospace, millions of square kilometers of agriculture, over 90% of the world's drinkable water, member of the UN, worldwide respect for our efforts in both world wars, peacekeeping in places the US either messed up or abandoned, the list could go on for days.

The American economy is currently going into recession... Canada's might not be booming but it is making gradual improvement. Have you compared the US dollar to ours lately?

7) Is Protected militarily by the US

The only country ever to invade Canada WAS the USA! We sent them packing and burned down the White House.

We do have a military, but we choose to use it to promote peace instead of crusading into other countries spreading the "American Way".

8) Canada is cold all year round

Some of Canada is - but most of it has 4 seasons, each of which has it's own weather. It can be cold here, but it also gets incredibly hot too.

We are an independent nation and a member of the British Commonwealth. We have a world presence in politics, economy, technology, manufacturing, and every other important issue.

Ha!... I think you'll find that most Canadians love Canada, and wouldn't want to be American.

First of all, that's not a worldwide tradition, although it clearly is in the USA. Personally, I'd rather hear a professional sing my country's anthem than butcher it by singing it myself.

Our countries have been neighbors for a long time. As a result, the history of each country has had an enormous impact on the history of the other. Funny the American school system hasn't recognized that fact.

13) Canada is a funny country

Noo Doot Aboot It

14) Canada is irrelevant to the world

I've already answered this point above.

Protect us from who? Themselves? We don't push our political views on societies that don't want them. We aren't hated like the USA is. If anybody is going to invade Canada it will be the USA when they run out of oil and water. Guess how many countries will come to our aid then! Many of your current allies in the war in the middle east are part of the Commonwealth too, and as such we will protect each other. All of a sudden, they will be your enemies. Also, many European countries believe they owe Canada for our efforts in past wars. Canadians have never expected anything in return. We don't believe there is a debt at all, but the Americans might be surprised to find out how many nations would jump at the opportunity to help Canada out.

We are a founding member of the UN and are present in ALL of its decision making processes. The commonwealth is also represented in and by a lot of countries around the world, on every populated continent.

We are very easy going, but when our values and virtues are attacked, or discriminated against, we will defend ourselves. That is a Human Right.

It certainly has had a substantial impact. We are each other's biggest trading partner. International trade, commerce, politics, war, etc. is what defines every country in the world.

20) Canada a nation of losers

"Hosers" is spelled with an "H"

After reading other Canadian answers to the other copies of this question, I found it amusing to see others responded to the point #20 the same way! Canadians are funny, no doubt about it.

1) I'm not sure what you mean by this one.

2) It's true that we have become very americanized, like the rest of the world.

3) When I travel abroad, I find many people are much friendlier towards Canadians than Americans, so I always make sure they know my nationality.

4) We are not obssessed by America's lack of knoweledge of Canada. We don't really care.

Canada plays a vital role on the international level and has made many significant distributions to the world. Americans may choose to overlook our contributions to World War I and II but if you have never heard of the Battle of Vimy Ridge, or D-Day then you are very ignorant.

Not to mention our troops that are currently stationed in Afganistan helping fight terrorism and helping the people regain their country from the Taliban

6) It's true that our economy depends greatly on America's

7) We are a peaceful nation, therefore we do not need America's protection

7) Of course Canada has an army.

8) Nunavut is cold all year round.

9) Not true.

10) Nope.

11) Canadian schoolchildren sing their country's national anthem every morning throughout elementary and secondary school, so I would say they do know their anthem.

12) Might be true in some cases.

13) what?

14) Canada exports wood, minerals, metals, natural gas, machinary, petrol, industrial machinary, crude oil, motor vehicles, electricity and so on, largely to America.

15) Canada is a good country to live in because we don't have a crazy president. We also have national health care, good schools and social services.

17) Not true.

18) Not true.

19) Learn some canadian history.

20) i'm not even going to answer this.

• Leon

I'm originally from Nicaragua, therefore I can offer you the general view of the Nicaraguan people towards Canada.

To answer your questions:

1) Nicaraguans do not see Canada as bland but rather as a rich and prosperous nation and good example to other rich and prosperous nations who, instead of being peaceful as Canada, impose their politics by military strength and force.

2) Nicaraguans indeed see Canada as living in the shadows of the US, but being in the shadow to a country that has used not one, but two atomic bombs to destroy to entire cities and who has furthermore enforced its politics on other countries by military force and agression is not always a bad thing.

3) Canadians who travel to Nicaragua will always point out that they are not American but rather Canadian and as a result, the locals treat them better because they respect Canadians more than Americans due to the fact that Canada has never enforced its politics through force on other nations.

4) The fact that other countries believe that the US lacks knowledge of the rest of the world is not unique to Canada. Most other countries will testify the same, since they believe Americans are more obsessed with professional sports, Hollywood, the MTV Awards, and Television.

5) Nicaraguans believe that Canada has served as a good example to the rest of the world by being a rich and peaceful nation that does not enforce and imposes its politcs on other countries by force and agression.

6) Canada's economy is more a result of it been close to the United Kingdom than to been close neighbors with the US.

7) Canada does not have an army and as a result they are truly an example of peace to the rest of the civilized world.

8) Yes, Canada is cold most of the year.

9) Canadians are North Americans.

I hope this is enough for you. Your question is too long but you should have an idea of what Nicaraguans, and in a way, most of Latin America thinks of Canada.

You question is a little too long, so you mightn't get too many answers. I personally view Canadians as far more superior, especially intellectually to Yanks. I also think they are insulted when people ask them if they are fomr the USA, which I completely understand. Canadians are 'normal', unlike their USA counterparts, and can completely understand why they want ot distance themselves from the US. From my experience Canadians are viewed as intelligent, level-headed people, who have interestes in the wider world, unlike insular Americans.

Edit - I also understant that I am making a completely generalisation about Americans, that many are also 'normal', but we are talking about general attitudes after all. I do have some good level-headde American friends!

sorry don't have time to answer all the points but my only upset is the seal hunt which is why i have never visited and can't really comment on all the points. a friend lives there however and is very happy there and with the standard of living. I am sensitive to the needs of not being called american as I am welsh and hate it when you go abroad and people say 'are you english?' so am always very careful when I hear an accent so I am sure I don't offend.

just wish so much that the seal hunt would end forever - it is so cruel and genuinely upsets me every year

I'm American but, I think Canada is fairly great. It definitely doesn't have the best military but, they are so friendly they could probably get along with everyone. I do think they tend to live in our shadow...and it makes me feel sorta bad but, they are a very great country and should be shown respect.

"More than half of people around the world say they would abandon their homelands and move to Canada if they could. Given the choice, 53 per cent of adults in the world's 24 leading economies said they would immigrate to Canada, according to an international survey..."

Link - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/the-worl...

Clearly, those people know things you don't.

Research the headlines to start educating yourself since what you're reading online is nonsense.

'Canada: Richer than America and more economically powerful than Europe'

'The most prosperous nation in the Americas, Canada ranks first in personal freedom'

'Canada’s Financial System Ranked Number One for Sixth Straight Year'

'Canadians getting richer, average net worth tops $400,000'

'Canada first and only G7 country to recover all jobs lost during recession'

'Canada to lead G7 nations in average growth for next 50 years: OECD'

'Canada leads North America in economic freedom'

'Canadian banks rated safest in world'

'Canada: Constitutional Superpower'

'Charter of Rights turns Canada into a 'constitutional' trendsetter'

'Canada A 'Pivot' Country That Will Thrive In New World Disorder'

'While the rest of the world sinks into despair, Canadians have never felt so upbeat about the future'

'Canada remains world's most educated country'

'Canada is best G20 country for females, India worst'

'Canada ranks No. 1 for women’s rights out of G20 countries'

'Best Country For Kids: Canada Best Place In The World To Raise Children'

'Your Kids Will Have A Better Life If You Move To Canada'

'Canada ranks in top 5 of world’s best places to grow old'

'Canada again named the country with the world's best reputation'

'Canada's natural beauty, multicultural society, health care service and security made it the top place on the planet'

'Canadians are the most tolerant people in the developed world: report'

'Canadians more welcoming to immigrants than other countries, research shows'

'Scenic beauty of Canada amazes new immigrants'

'Multiculturalism has been Canada's solution, not its problem'

'Canada tops global expats survey of best countries'

'The Best Place To Live Is Canada, Compared To The World'

'A great time to be Canadian'

'Canada leads G8 in keeping promises'

'And the fastest-growing G8 country is Canada'

'Free trade with Canada has become a global aspiration'

'Canada Leads the Pack in Diversifying its Export Markets'

'Canada leads the world in research impact, shows study'

'Canada leads the world in technology adoption'

'Canada ranks among the top 10 least corrupt countries in the world'

'Canada ranked second-happiest country in the world'

'Canada rises to 4th in world peace rankings'

'Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary picked as three of world's top five most liveable cities'

'Why Thousands Of Brits Move To Canada Every Year'

'Why being poor in Canada is better than being rich in France'

'Americans moving to Canada in record numbers: report'

'Canada can fairly claim to be the best-governed country in the world'

That's fact-based reality here in the real world.

If poorly-educated foreigners don't know it, well, their ignorance is their responsibility to remedy.

As for Canadian contributions, try researching some instead of making assumptions.

Canadians invented everything from zippers to ship propellers to the electric ranges found in kitchens worldwide to giving the world everything from the Canadian-authored UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights to UN Peacekeeping to the Ottawa Treaty to the UN's Responsibility to Protect (R2P) Doctrine.

And a whole helluva lot more that only poorly educated people are clueless about.

Canada is the new Switzerland... KEEP THE PEACE, YO.... lol joking about the Swiss but Canada is great. Poutine = ♥

& full of suuuuuper smart people... it has Queen's University.

Canada is cool. Canada is what the USA could have been if it hadn't been overrun by criminals.

I am not a Canadian but I would not be ashamed to be one.

Canada liberals are same as USA liberals... Both are idiots as you can see by those who are bashing the US here like EMMA and MJ (the jealous euroPEON.)...the rest of Canadians are cool.