Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

What is the average length of a word in the English language?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Five is a good rule-of-thumb (and the old standard for calculating how many words one has counting toward a total for an assignment...).

A more precise calculation given at the following link is 5.1

http://blogamundo.net/lab/wordlengths/

One qualification -- this type of calculation is typically based on a chunk of written text, and includes all those words that are used MULTIPLE times within a text. Since these most repeated words tend to be shorter, esp. common things like articles (a, the), pronouns (I, me, he, she, it. . ), and conjunctions (and, but, or), the average is DECREASED by these repetitions.

If you took exactly the same text and list the different words it uses without repetition (i.e "a" is only counted once, no matter how many times the text uses it), the average would be significantly higher.

Also, note that this is "normal" language prose. Something written in technical language (e.g., a scientific paper) would include many longer words, and consequently have a higher average word length.

• 4 years ago

Average Word Length

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The average length of a word in the English language is 5 letters.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is the average length of a word in the English language?

Source(s): average length word english language: https://shortly.im/kNnpr
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The average length of a word in the English language is five letters. (When a wordprocessing programme does a word count, they count every five characters as one word.)

• 1 decade ago

It's five letters.

• 1 decade ago

5 sounds about right.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

mmm about 2inches lol

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.