Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

Leukemia................?

How do you get leukemia? Is it common for a fifteen year old to have it? What does leukemia effect? How long do they usually have on average to live? What would cause leukemia? PLEASE give me correct answers...im reallly worried about my friend.....THX!!!!!!!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I work with pts with leukemia, and it is not just a childhood disease. It is not contagious, believed some are genetic. Treatment and outcome totally depends on the type of leukemia that a person has.

The four main types of leukemia are:

Acute lymphoblastic leukemia, or ALL. ALL is the most common leukemia in children. Adults can also get it.

Acute myelogenous leukemia, or AML. AML affects both children and adults.

Chronic lymphocytic leukemia, or CLL. CLL is the most common leukemia in adults, mostly those who are older than 55. Children almost never get it. It sometimes runs in families.

Chronic myelogenous leukemia, or CML. CML occurs mostly in adults

Symptoms may depend on what type of leukemia you have, but common symptoms include:

Fever and night sweats.

Headaches.

Bruising or bleeding easily.

Bone or joint pain.

A swollen or painful belly from an enlarged spleen.

Swollen lymph nodes in the armpit, neck, or groin.

Getting a lot of infections.

Feeling very tired or weak.

Losing weight and not feeling hungry.

In most cases of leukemia, there are too many abnormal white blood cells. These leukemia cells crowd out the normal blood cells in your bone marrow and build up in your lymph nodes, liver, and spleen. This makes it hard for your body to fight infections.

Your white blood cells help your body fight infection. Your red blood cells make sure all your body parts have the oxygen they need. Your platelets keep you from bleeding too much. When the leukemia cells crowd out your normal cells, your blood cannot do its job. You may bleed or bruise easily, have more infections, and feel very tired.

Chemotherapy or radiation that is used to treat other cancers, such as breast cancer or Hodgkin's lymphoma, can sometimes cause leukemia months or years later.2 (This is rare.)

Survival rates are different for different kinds of leukemia. A 5-year survival rate is the percentage of people who are still alive 5 years or more after being diagnosed. But keep in mind that everyone is different. These numbers do not necessarily show what will happen in your case. Researchers are continuing to develop new and better treatments for leukemia. The 5-year survival rates are:

20% to 40% for acute myelogenous leukemia (AML) (depending on which type).3

74% for chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL).

Over 70% for people with chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML) who receive a bone marrow transplant. (This applies to people age 50 or younger who are treated in the first year after diagnosis. Transplants are not as successful for older people or for people who have had CML for more than a year.)4 Taking imatinib (Gleevec) for a long time might help many people live longer. But long-term studies have not yet been done.5

Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) is different for children than for adults. With treatment, nearly 80% of children and 40% of adults are leukemia-free for a long time afterward.6

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Leukemia is actually known as the "childhood cancer"

The cause, or how you get it, remains unknown at said time. They think it may be hereditary, but again, they aren't sure.

It's not totally uncommon for 15 year olds to have it, I know at least 3 or 4 teens who do.

The 5-year survival rate for all types of leukemia is about 50%.

But that, of course, isn't set in stone.

The two main forms in which leukemia are basically chronic and acute. Acute leukemia means that the disease grows rapidly and the usually life expectancy without treatment varies from a few weeks to a few months. Chronic leukemia progresses gradually and with the appropriate cure, life expectancy can be up to 20 years or more after the onset of sickness.

Those are the exact answers you'll find in a book, comrade.

Give your mate the best of luck.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

15 years old is a common age for someone to be diagnosed with leukemia. Leukemia is a type of cancer that effects your white blood cells which fight off infection, it destroys your immune system so you are constantly sick. It depends on what kind of leukemia fr life expectancy but with new medications and technology life expectancy is rising for leukemia patients. There is no known cause for leukemia but it is known to run in families. In my family i have leukemia and my cousin passed away 2 years ago from it. If your friend has leukemia he/she would be displaying certain symptoms. My first symptoms were bruising and headaches but i hear that headaches are uncommon. Other symptoms early on are weight loss, and extreme fatigue. Good luck i hope everything turns out okay for your friend.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Leukemia is cancer of the blood. There is no way to contract Leukemia, as cancer is simply the multiplication of protooncogenes and cancer cells within your own body.

Some symptoms of Leukemia are unexplained bruises on parts of the body, frequent nosebleeds, and many other symptoms that are associated with cancer.

Leukemia, being a cancer, could be caused by a number of things, whether it be radiation exposure, or genetics.

Depending on how early the Leukemia is caught, a patient could either die or live.

Fifteen year olds can develop leukemia. Children even younger are susceptible to the disease.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You get leukemia by a certain mix in your white blood cells and red blood cells.. and it turns the red cells bad and it will keep reproducing if left untreated with cemo,radiation, ect. and you will go into a coma or die. It is common for anyone to have it Acute limfoma luekimia is most common in kids or teens and it is a fast acting so it will killl you fast but it also has the highest sirvival rate. If left untreated they could die from 2-5 months from when they get it. side effects are tired, not hungry, bruse very easy like a bruse will just appear, gets sick easy.

HOPE I HELPED!!!!

• 1 decade ago

doctors aren't sure yet

i don't know how common it is but a 15 yr. old could get it.

your blood cells

it depends on the type my brother lived through it another kid i knew died a year after being diagnosed.

doctors don't know

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They dont know what causes leukimia and there are loads of different typess of leukemia, be specific

Source(s): mum died of leukimia
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

umm im not positive

but i think you have to be born woth it

it may not SHOW for awhile...

you should search for a website with .gov or .edu

theres plenty

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.