Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

if you have a confederate flag would it be racist?

i went to town that said white power and confederate flags all over it.. is it racist? and all i saw were white ppl.. didnt see back mexicans.. i was the only asain..

• zzone
    Favorite Answer

No it is not racist and it should not be considered as such.

The First Official Flag of the Confederacy. Although less well known than the "Confederate Battle Flags",the Stars and Bars was used as the official flag of the Confederacy from March 1861 to May of 1863. The pattern and colors of this flag did not distinguish it sharply fom the Stars and Stripes of the Union. Consequently, considerable confusion was caused on the battlefield.

The seven stars represent the original Confederate States; South Carolina (December 20, 1860), Mississippi(January 9, 1861), Florida (January 10,1861), Alabama (January 11, 1861), Georgia (January 19, 1861), Louisiana (January 26, 1861), and Texas (February 1, 1861).

There are plenty of ignorant people who will respond with ignorance, or emotion, to the question. This is true of any question involving the Confederate battle flag (not the "Stars and Bars", which was a wholly different flag). The truth, though, is that the flag is certainly not "racist". It's easy to put a label like that on anything these days. It's just a term that really has no meaning, but is used to silence those who disagree with you. Read what Charles Dickens, Lord Acton, and others had to say about the war. It wasn't about slavery. It was about the right of self determination--the same thing that the Colonials fought the Revolutionary War over.

This is can be somewhat of a touchy subject for most. Some see the Confederate Flag as a symbol of hatred. Some don't. There's a lot of history behind the Confederate Flag and I'm sure it runs deep.

It is incredible stupid because it stands for owning black slaves, but there were white slaves at some time in history and those ppl are the ones that would have been a white slave. Those days poor whites could not get money without dipping into the slave wage level to make a buck. Like work with slaves all day for a meal of the slaves. Not the master. They would be so smelly and dirty, they were never allowed in the house. After a while, they would just live on the plantations just like the slaves. A couple contracts here and there and they were slaves.

No, it would not be racist.

First of all, even before the civil war, both the north and south kept slaves.

But as the Industrial production of the north increased, the saw less need for slaves, and began to see the cruelty in keeping them.

As the south was more focused on farming, (cotton, wheat, etc.) they still saw a need for slaves.

Also, remember the fact the the civil war was not fought over slavery. It was fought because of the secession of the south, which became the confederacy. I won't say that slavery was not a part of it, but the extreme fear of secession prompted the Union into action.

Slavery would have likely been abolished within a few years even without the civil war, had the south not seceded

. It's simply saddening. Hundreds of thousands of Americans died for essentially nothing.

The flag is a symbol, nothing more, nothing less. It becomes racist when it is manipulated by the people sending the message.

The Confederate flag as a symbol has a LONG history behind it... tied to States rights, Slavery, Southern Pride.

I have no problem with Southern Pride... it's the Slavery that I have beef with.

Now given they had white power,written everywhere. They probably were going for the Slavery/Racist symbolism the flag holds.

• ?

I still have several Confederate flags. I used to fly them from my 20 foot flagpoles in my front yard, but, no one could see them since I live way back in the woods and you can't see my house from the road, nor the road from my house. But, whether it's racist to fly those flags? Hmmm. My flying those flags reflected the freedom I feel to recall and feel good about a part of this North American continent that tried to have its own government but was attacked by the United States and prevented from having the very freedom they claim to provide. If you will, read "The Politically Incorrect Guide to The South; And Why It Will Rise Again" by Clint Johnson; Regnery Publishing, Inc., (2006), to see why I say the United States of America acted very unconstitutionally in attacking, us, The Confederate States of America. Racist? I know I've looked at it for decades to see if that was a possibility, and I know many have used the Confederate flags to preach their racism, BUT, to call us racist because of impressions given by the likes of the KKK, or demonstrators, etc., is to miss the whole issue of The Confederacy. Read the book I recommended and you'll see things you never realized. It's only $19.95, and it's only 239 pages long, very well organized, with highlights printed in the margins for easy reference. I'd love to see your question, if you even had one like that, AFTER you read that book. God Bless you.

yes.

the civil war was fought on the basis of slavery in america. The union was abolitionist and against slavery while the Confederates were the south and supported slavery. The flag symbolizes to many people the racism of the south, the black laws that kept african americans from their rights and the hatred. The flag was replaced by the flag we all know today, and envokes negative emotion in many people and shouldn't be aroun d anymore.

sounds like your racist. why are you so worried about it? maybe black people and Mexicans just didn't want to go. maybe you didn't see any. and i'm kinda dumb so I don't know what the confederate flag is I think its the first flag we had Idk...

they could be but they might not be just give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are good loving Americans who know that America is a country of many religions cultures and people

the confederate flag represents the south, and hte south wanted to break off and keep slavery as well as other political issues. ppl who have that flag represent the south, and th south mainly stands for rasism and slavery and alot of unjust laws.