Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Alaskan Malamute owner?

I am looking at getting an Alaskan Malamute. This is a dog i have dreamed over for years and years and i have done so much research into them. I also work in a petshop so know how important it is to do this. I have however come across a few people who tend to believe that Alaskan Malamute can be agressive. I am now a little weary of getting one. I have also always wanted a Dogue De Bourdeaux, so am considering that option instead. Can anyone tell me about the personalities of the Alaskan Malamutes? I would love to have one, but only if we can be the best pair, and the last thing i want is neighbours children launching themselves at him and getting an agressive reaction....

Favorite Answer

Alaskan Malamutes are great dogs, but they are not for everybody

Here is information on the breed that will help you decide whether or not this breed is right for you.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/alaskanma...

http://www.akc.org/breeds/alaskan_malamute/index.c...

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/alaskanmalamute.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Malamute

I'm not an Alaskan Malamute owner but It's all in the owner if you give it proper training at a young age and raise it right it'll be fine. I mean like all dogs are nice with proper training. Right?Good luck!! Hope you find a good dog!

Okkies with an alaskan you need to be very dilligent about training. these dogs are powerful and full of energy. you need to be able to put in at least 1- 2 hour of running a day, also about 30 mins brushing a day as they shed heaps. they are a very freindly dog if trained and cared for right. they can be aggressive if not trained. you need to get them into puupy school asap and then on to dog training and agility as they are smart and need to have their minds working. if you notice this breed and huskies have a high number of people giving them into huski and alaskan shelter homes as they ended up being too much of a hand ful for owners. i would definitly not reccomend this dog to people who have never owner dogs before or to people who are shy and quiet, you need to be powerful and have a leadership presence to the dog otherwise it will do whateva it wants. but if you have done your research you would know. also recommend you go to one of these shelters and help out for a while to get to know them better. good luck and please only buy this breed if you are sure as there are too many of the wolf breed that end up homeless.

Alaskan Malamutes are very friendly dogs and I absolutely love them. Like any dog the temperment highly depends on how you raise them, but naturally they tend to be protective and very sweet. For me there is only one downside to them; sheding. Overall a great (big) dog!

I bred and showed mals for years. And, some mals can be aggressive. They are strong willed intelligent dogs, and if you don't start young with obedience training and showing them a clear status in their "pack", they'll be more than happy to take that roll. I loved my mals, great dogs, but you have to take charge of them. I had some that I wouldn't necessarily want a child to run up to, but I had a lot of them that were total mush balls. I had one that we got his championship title on him, but didn't want to breed him as he was a bit oversized. Placed him with some people who went on to get a CD title, and a working pack dog title on him, and a CGC. Their grandkids would use him for their "horsey", and Clint loved every minute of it. Just be selective, get your puppy from a reputable breeder, and tell them upfront about the temperment you're looking for. A good breeder should be able to help you pick the puppy "most likely to succeed" in your situation.