Do Americans say fridge instead of refrigerator?

In England, we usually say fridge, not refrigerator. I recently watched a video where an American man is teaching some Japanese women how to say refrigerator, and the women had great trouble doing so. I thought 'Why didn't he just tell the girls to say fridge instead of making it so much harder for them?'

So basically, is fridge just slang for refrigerator in England or America too?

• Chas
    Favorite Answer

Yes, that's what almost everyone over here calls it. It's also called a 'reefer' by the furniture moving companies. I've heard it called reefer many times but not as much as fridge.

Of course, in the Ozarks and Oklahoma, it's still

an 'ice box'....:-)

• debijs

Refrigerator is the correct name and fridge is just a slang term. In America, at least in California area, everything is said as fast and quick as possible. So just about everything is cut down in size while speaking. I'm surprised the English use the slang term, I thought word use was more proper in you region. Funny how different areas speak the same language but words are used so differently-huh??!

Fridge is slang/abbreviation of Refrigerator. We say fridge, but our American cousins always use refrigerator.

Yes we say that, and some older ppl say ice box... because thats what we all had before the fridge came out. He pry could teach her how to say fridge but he wants her to know what the refridgerator is if someone says it to her. She can use what she wants after she learns what everything is. ya know?

No, we say fridge. That was just for entertainment purposes.

we say fridge rest assured we are equally all lazy

Yes we say both matters on who u are and how old u are ( im one)