Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Do Americans say fridge instead of refrigerator?

In England, we usually say fridge, not refrigerator. I recently watched a video where an American man is teaching some Japanese women how to say refrigerator, and the women had great trouble doing so. I thought 'Why didn't he just tell the girls to say fridge instead of making it so much harder for them?'

So basically, is fridge just slang for refrigerator in England or America too?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Chas
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, that's what almost everyone over here calls it. It's also called a 'reefer' by the furniture moving companies. I've heard it called reefer many times but not as much as fridge.

Of course, in the Ozarks and Oklahoma, it's still

an 'ice box'....:-)

• debijs
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Refrigerator is the correct name and fridge is just a slang term. In America, at least in California area, everything is said as fast and quick as possible. So just about everything is cut down in size while speaking. I'm surprised the English use the slang term, I thought word use was more proper in you region. Funny how different areas speak the same language but words are used so differently-huh??!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Fridge is slang/abbreviation of Refrigerator. We say fridge, but our American cousins always use refrigerator.

• 1 decade ago

Yes we say that, and some older ppl say ice box... because thats what we all had before the fridge came out. He pry could teach her how to say fridge but he wants her to know what the refridgerator is if someone says it to her. She can use what she wants after she learns what everything is. ya know?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No, we say fridge. That was just for entertainment purposes.

• 1 decade ago

we say fridge rest assured we are equally all lazy

• 1 decade ago

Yes we say both matters on who u are and how old u are ( im one)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.