Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

"History will be kind to me for i intend to write it" - what does it mean?

I don't get this quote by Sir Winston Churchill. Anyone can help me out? Thanks in advance.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

he could have been saying that he was going to win, as we all know History is written by the winners.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Hi C.

Winston Churchill is supposed to have said: "History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.". But when and where did he say it? No one knows for sure. We really don't know if he said it at all.

Cathorio

• Alex G
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

It means that Churchill knew he was a war criminal, responsible for starting WW II, deliberately targeting and murdering millions of citizens by firebombing German cities (something that was never done before!), and that since Britain was winning the war, he would be able to write history and lie and make himself and Britain out to be heroes while Germany and German people would be portrayed as monsters.

• It means that he will be shown as a hero in history books because of his contrabutions which shaped the course of history. Understand, we see Hitler as evil Church Hill as a saint, both did things which dramatically change peoples lives. He intended to make the world better (write history) and it will be kind to him (portray him a hero). Hope this helps :)

Source(s): look up ww2 or Churchhill
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jim L
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Surely he was referring to his own talents as a historian.

BTW history is not always written by the victors. The Spartans and Mongols never wrote any history. They left it to the Athenians, Persian and Chinese they conquered.

• Kembek
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Churchill was saying that he will do good things to make sure his legacy is a good one.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.