Girly Q asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

What does this phrase mean? Choose your battles wisely?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Don't waste your energy on fights you can't win.

Focus on the possible and likely.

• lawrie
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Choose Your Battles Wisely

• 1 decade ago

More than anything else it means don't be a fussbudget. Everywhere around us there are injustices, large and small. Besides a limited amount of energy to fight those injustices, we have a limited tolerance from others for those fights. So choosing battles wisely means pick those that correct something egregious, and that tend to increase your support rather than diminish it. Rare is the battle that is won without support.

Example: The effort against the Vietnam war was one battle that grew and grew, and nearly destroyed our social structure, but for many it was a wise choice. A battle against the fashion of short skirts would be one that diminished support and polarized followers and for most would not be a wise battle choice.

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What does this phrase mean? Choose your battles wisely?

Source(s): phrase choose battles wisely: https://biturl.im/gXlZQ
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

Wisely Synonym

• Domino
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Fighting and arguing can take a toll on you...it can drain you both physically and mentally...there's so many times when we can get upset over petty things and argue or stew over them. There's times when things are really important to fight for but most of the time the reason's are petty....Save your energy, "Choose your battles wisely"....Good Advice!

• 1 decade ago

Choose your battles wisely means decide what is most important to you and forget the rest. You see this mostly with parents who engage in power struggles with their kids and "NO" them to death. I focus on things like hygeine, and safety with my toddlers however the grandparents hit them with a barage of no's and it loses its affect. NO don't touch the glass window, NO don't run in the house, NO don't eat anywhere but the kitchen, NO don't take your shoes off, NO don't stand on the couch, NO don't throw the balll in the house all in the matter of 10 minutes, I would not NO any of the above. I focus on NO don't hit your brother, NO don't touch the hot stove and things like that.

Source(s): psychiatric nurse
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It means that if you truly feel you must battle with someone, go into it with knowledge. Know what you are arguing for without the emotion of anger. If you believe you are right then it is always worth standing up for rightousness but be aware that the opponent will have the strenght of his/her belief also.

• 1 decade ago

umm this is what i thought it ment you should choose the battles that are worth fighting for dont fight somone for a stupid cause later on you'll regret it thats what i think:)

• 3 years ago

Meaning know when to stop arguing before you lose the war against everyone and end up by yourself

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.