Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

Do you think organic jarred baby food or not organic homemade baby food is better?

Ok so i spend about 50 dollars on only a few veg. and fruits that only lasted about a week for my daughter. I can't afford to do that every week! Food prices are getting rediculous. Do you think that it's better to buy organic food in jars or make her food that isn't organic?? I'll still make a few things but majority would be out of jars...

Favorite Answer

Nothing wrong with jarred baby food. Apparently, the costs of organic produce in your area is quite high. The primary advantage of making your own food is cost, so if you want organic and it is that pricey, stick with the jars.

In most of the world, baby gets whatever is for dinner for the rest of the family. Just puree it appropriately. A hand blender works great for this.

I felt I should add that I personally don't like the fact that baby food is now being packaged in plastic instead of jars. While I understand the expense involved in jars, I think parents should be given a choice between buying infant food in jars vs. plastic. In the long run, I think that is bad for the consumer of baby foods. I would personally stick with jars.

• SoBox

Woah, where are you shopping? I bought organic ingredients, but it was nowhere near that much. It was MUCH cheaper for me to make homemade organic baby food than it was to buy the organic jarred food.

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They have very inexpensive organic produce.

Home made is better, you know what's in it and it tastes so much better. Jars are ok for convenience if you're traveling, but homemade food is so much tastier.

It's also SO much cheaper when you make it yourself. You get about 10 jars worth of baby food from about $1 worth of sweet potatoes.

• I think as long as it is in a glass JAR it is fine. If it is in a plastic container I think it is pointless because the chemicals from the plastic leach into the food. How dumb is that??? I also make sure the milk I give my little boy comes in a glass container.

make your own! DEFINITELY

I know your dilemma because i buy mostly organic stuff and my local grocery store only has certain organic vegetables and fruits but i definitely will make my own food for the baby organic or not. i don't trust that jarred baby food.

i buy the jarred organics, I spend about 30 a month on jarred foods, plus a box of cereal every week or so. He loves them, and I feel better knowing that his food has gone through a more stringent overseeing process.

i think you sould just make them yourself! Im all for organics but it would cost a fortune to buy it already made. SO I would try to find some organic vegtables and puree them yourself and freeze in little bity ice cube trays. It will save you a TON

both are good

but if you do decide to get organic baby food in a jar dont get it from gerber, they recently had a recall about it, and if you already are getting it you shold stop because many babied have been getting very sick

You can do half and half. I know it is expensive, but the organic food that you make at home is more healthy, but man when you can't afford it you need to go with second best. Just try to go with something that is low on sodium and sugars.

There is no proven benefit to organic food.

Homemade food means you don't have to heat the food to a high temp and kill off a pile of nutrients to preserve it...

But, can't you make her food and put it in the freezer?? Why did it only last a week?

[The first answer is a sound one, though. Baby food is totally unnecessary]