Hockey the 4th, 5th, 6th..... Sport?

Watching the Memorial Cup on the NHL Network got me thinking why do people always call hockey the 4th sport? With so many American Junior teams pulling in at least a 1000 people at the gate and some teams up in 5000. How can people really consider Hockey a funky, niche or cult sport? I will not argue that... show more Watching the Memorial Cup on the NHL Network got me thinking why do people always call hockey the 4th sport?

With so many American Junior teams pulling in at least a 1000 people at the gate and some teams up in 5000. How can people really consider Hockey a funky, niche or cult sport?

I will not argue that Football is king in American but in most small towns and or cities you get maybe 5 or 6 home games a year compared to 30 or 40 hockey games.

Yeah Hockey might not be a huge "TV" sport but seeing how can see your own lads down at your own barn, doesn't the boys in the show come second?

Anyways love to hear your takes and add-ons
Update: More of my point is how more towns have a local hockey that is in the sense more popular then football, baseball or basketball
Update 2: More of my point is how more towns have a local hockey that is in the sense more popular then football, baseball or basketball
Update 3: You guys are making my point that yes nationally it is 4th but in reality and or yours and our world it is far from 4th. Hockey is at our Wells Fargo or Lincoln Ice Center. Hockey has always bring together the White collar and Blule collar folk down to the old barn to watch a tilt between the good guys and those... show more You guys are making my point that yes nationally it is 4th but in reality and or yours and our world it is far from 4th. Hockey is at our Wells Fargo or Lincoln Ice Center.

Hockey has always bring together the White collar and Blule collar folk down to the old barn to watch a tilt between the good guys and those punks from Des Monies
Update 4: Mets Fans 2044 in TV World

1 NFL
2 MLB
3 Nascar
4 Golf
5 - tie NBA / MMA (UFC)
6 NHL
7 Soccer or Tennis
8 Bull Riding ahh Just Kidding