Heralda asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

How would your life be affected if gas cost $12 - $15 a gallon? What would have to change?

Oil industry experts are predicting that oil will be $200 a barrel by Christmas and that gas will be $12 $15 a gallon.

As the oil price affects food prices, what will you do about food prices rising due to increased transport costs and higher prices for fossil fuel fertilisers?

Will the increase affect how you get to work?

Will it affect your job?

Billy brite - What you suggest wouldn't have any effect. The price of oil is subject to the rigours of supply and demand. The supply is flat at 85 million barrels of oil per day while the demand is for 87 million barrels, so the price is high. Any drop off in demand in the West is more than made up for by demand in emerging markets like China and India. The oil supply is declining, the price will only get higher and higher.

Get used to it.

Favorite Answer

First the oil supply is not declining. This jack up on the prices, and the 110 billion dollars Mobile made last year, shows there seems to plenty to scare people with. The fight over crude oil and between the world and OPEC is an on going issue. Fact is here in the US, we actually allow our companies to sell and ship to other countries, to increase the price for the stock and share holders, and of course the CEO of the company. This is why crude oil drilled here, should be processed here, and used here. Only the extra should be shipped.

There are many oil rigging fields here that are not in operation, because the equipment is out dated, or they pay cheaper labor else where, so they drill else where. In the state of Alaska, each and every citizen gets a kick back check for living there. Because crude oil is a natural resource and pumped out of Alaska.

There are also areas of Canada and Northwestern United States, where 'mash' is found. This mash is soil saturated with crude oil. The problem is, no one has found an affordable way to process this mash into crude oil for use. It actually seeps out of the veins and into the soil.

As for the price drives, we have all ready made some major changes in our life style. Having experienced the recession in 1984, when the American dollar bought even less than today, but we are quickly approaching an evening off of the 2008 dollar to the 1984 dollar. We also experienced the mid-1970's oil embargo, with long lines and daily lotteries for gas. So this is not a new problem here.

As for getting to and from work, I am at work now. I freelance from home for a law office. I carpool to the office two days a week, for meetings and updates. I also work for myself vending ice creams and frozen treats, I own a stand that I park, rather than drive in neighborhoods. We attend festivals and parades. So, there is little effect on the expense there. My daughters and I clean in several sub-divisions around our county. They have to be reachable by the bus, and most are.

My biggest concern is the expense of day care going up, so I am taking my disabled son with me to work on job sites. Rather than paying for in home care for him. I also work part time at a restaurant, a few hours a week, but that goes straight into my savings. So, my daughter at home works days, and my other daughter and myself trade off working the ice cream, or cleaning houses. Between our house holds, there are six adults, we make sure to sit down and plan out our schedules, to have someone around to watch the kids.

As to travel, we are cutting expenses to the bone. There will be no family reunion this summer, in Florida. Instead we are going camping here in Ohio.

One of the good things to come of the fuel cost, is more people will be spending money at home, instead of else where. Our parks are gearing up for the busiest summer since 1984.

On the other hand, we are concerned with the ever growing price of groceries, blaming the fuel and shipping cost. So, we shop only on sale items, and eat fruits and veggies that are in season. We use a meat market, a vegetable market, and dry goods, we are buying in bulk. I have borrowed a few rows from our church and planted green beans, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots and onions. They are to trade with others to supplement our groceries.

After reviewing all of the answers, Royael is the only one that has an intellegent remark.

But, I have been a very long advocate of a strong Consumer Union that could force the major oil companies to their knees.

Here's how it works; Everyone, not some, but everyone takes a vow not to purchase any gas or oil or other products from one and only one of the major oil companies. Everyone must stick together, as the employees of a Union do, during a strike.

Let's take Exxon Mobile for instance. (Right now, I am boycotting them) If they could not sell the gas they are manufacturing now, the stockpile would grow so fast, they would have to sell it to a competitor at a lesser price.

Of course, with their money and power, they would do anything to stop the strike, like saying we are hurting the troops, or it's not bothering them, or there will not be enough gas around for everyone, or we'll have to shut down our refineries and lay off thousands. I could go on and on, but, if everyone stuck to their guns, it will work! Then, when they have to give in and lower the price, so will all of the other companies with the fear we would do the same to them.

It's called "PEOPLE POWER"! Those that do not follow the leaders, are left behind to struggle by themselves.

Edit: Heralda, you obviously believe everything you hear! I said, the oil companies will say anything to make you pay up

It is already £6 a gallon in most places in the UK - that's over $11.

We are sick of it, we are taxed to the absolute hilt and get nothing back for it. Our left-wing pansy governments just fritter it away on the welfare state - giving it to any lazy fukkin sponging bastad that doesn't want to work. Also paying billions of pounds to people on incapacity benefit, when there is nothing wrong with them. Wasting it on jumped-up minority projects, and illegal immigrants.

Bottom line in the UK - if you work, eat, drink, drive, own your home, smoke or buy anything else, then you're held down and screwed by every lazy sponging bastad in the land.

EDIT - I've been in the oil industry for 26 years - 11 years refining and 15 years offshore. We in the UK are at the mercy of our government, not the oil price. It is the tax on every barrel that creases us. Oil companies pay extortionate taxes to the government on every single barrel pumped from the ground (50%-75%) This goes to billions and billions and billions of pounds. After refining, the various products are then sold to consumers....and taxed further at similar extortionate rates, which ends up at us paying 6 quid a gallon for petrol or diesel.

By the way, the guy saying to boycott ExxonMobil...are you in the real world? ExxonMobil supplies products from their refineries to every other oil company in the world - BP, Total, Shell etc, and vice versa. You will go to a BP station, and the stuff you put in your tank can be from any other oil company. I work for BP, but BP have no refineries left in the UK, not one - so how are there so many BP service stations and garages here in the UK? Because it's refined by other companies in the UK. It is absolutely physically impossible to boycott Exxon - you would just be buying their gas/petrol/diesel from whatever other company you would be going to, and you wouldn't know it.

Well, if gas went to 200.00 a barrell we would have to be concerned with people getting home heating oil first and foremost......and driving a car would become only in an extreme circumstance. People living up North have cold weather for about 7 months a year.with big heating bills and high gas prices for their cars.

Billy bright is right most oil producing countries have spare capacity which they dont use in order to have power and keep prices high, the thing is that they need things of the west just as much as we need their oil, so why dont we use sanctions against them to make them play fair

• Royael

I would become a female Martin Luther King Jr...Leading the entire world on a strike against every oil company in every country.

We would have picket signs and banners that say, "lower the gas prices NOW!". We would march for miles and miles....

I would hire Run DMC & Aerosmith to rap the following words:

Ya'll no dis' gas too high!

we no dis' gas too high!

Ya'll no dis' gas too high!

Everybody no dis' gas too high!

Ya'll no we can't afford it! We know we can't afford it!

The world cannot ignore dis'!

Lower gas prices now or we are gonna run your company out of our town!

Ya'll no dis' gas too high! Tooooooooo High!

International riot!

I would have to change my job, $15 per gallon (£7.50) would cost me around £30 more per week to travel to and from work, I'm already spending £60.

• Sara

I predict an assasination and riots before it hits that high.

If it does, however, I won't even be able to afford driving to work. Or school. Or the grocery store.

If people in that industry know what's good for them, it will NEVER hit that high.

• I have an awful feeling I will be walking much more and using by bus pass.

It won't change my life much - we're already paying $10 per gallon.