Can you explain what this CICA letter means?

I was the victim of a violent assault whilst out walking with my baby nephew, and had my wallet, watch and phone stolen. I also recieved a broken arm, scar on my hand, broken nose and the hardest part is having to suffer with the flashbacks and mental scars. My lawyer put in a claim for Criminal Injuries Compensation way back in 2005 and it's STILL going on. Today I recieved a letter which states the following and I'd be grateful if you could tell me what this means, does it mean I've been refused? what do I need to do next?

Thanks,

Here is what it sates:

"I am writing to inform you that we have carried out an assessment on your client's case following its allocation to this section.

As a result of this assesment, it is clear that we will require some further infromatoin before we can decide whether your client is eligible for compensention under the scheme. This does not mean that your client will not recieve compensation but merely that we don't have enough information.

We have contacted the following organisations on your behalf to obtain the information what we need (My local Police force).

Although we will do our best to obtain the information that we need as soon as we can, these enquiries can take several months. We will contact you when we have recieved responses to our requests for information. At htis state we will either tell you we are able to make a final decision or that we still need futher information.

In the meantime thank you for your patience and would ask that you keep us informed of any relevant changes in your client's circumstances including any change in adress.

Yours sincerely

Case Officer, Section 6

Best Answer

Usually CICA takes 2 years to complete a full case - usually because other organisations drag their heels preparing documents that CICA need to assess your claim. CICA are just keeping you informed of where they are up to in your case so that you dont think they havent forgotten about you.

Your claim is still being processed and as soon as they receive the information the need they will make your assessment.

Your lawyer should have explained how long the process could take - visit there website for more info and contact them if you are not sure of anything

https://www.cica.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=736,1&...

Best of luck with your claim

Source(s): CICA officer at victim support

Yeah, it says it's still going. While on the one hand, it's nice that random victims can be compensated by the government that failed to protect them, on the other hand CICA does sound like a bloated bureaucracy -- meaning higher taxes for all.

Maybe get into boxing or karate or something to help heal the mental wounds. Taking control of one's own defense is good therapy.

Hope the baby was ok.

I would say the investigation is still dragging on ( as usual) but I think you need to ask your solicitor to explain where the case is upto.

Good luck in obtaining an early conclusion and hope you get the compensation, but that doesn't stop the flash backs.

Take care

You haven't been refused. they just want more details on the incident to make sure its not a bogus claim. the police will have an incident report and provide them with all the details..........good luck with it, sounds like you've had quite a time of it.

Evidently, they requested a copy of the incident report and have not gotten one, or one was never filed, or the crime was not reported.

They have not debnied your claim, they are stalling.

It means what it says...

They are still looking into it!

Good Luck!

basically they need more info to determine a result, and sadly it takes time....

• Liam S

well i think the police are a wast of time sometimes but i think they are looking into it