Morality question; Without getting into religious doctrine, what is wrong about polygamy/polyamory?

This is about consentual relationships involving more than two people; multiple males, multiple females or both.

Slighly Amused: Buy a dictionary and you will see why I didn't use that word; because it is NOT the same.

Favorite Answer

Nothing if done responsibly and with respect and affection to all involved. I find it much more attractive and moral than serial monogamy.

But me? I can't even stand to use another person's toothbrush. Sharing a lover may be beyond me.

Absolutely nothing so long as everyone is aware of the situation and consents.

Problems do arise in these relationships, and people get jealous or selfish, or just don't know how to work out serious problems with more than one person involved, so I suppose you could say those things are "wrong", but the same problems arise in monogamous relationships (albeit to a lesser extent).

Personally, while I don't have any particular desire to have more than one woman at once, I don't see why should feel the need to glorify such an ugly thing as jealousy by demanding anyone I'm with be exclusive.

Source(s): I am Right.

Polyamory is fine, but polygamy would be disastrous to the planet's ecosystem, since we differ from the other lifeforms on this planet in this regard which practice animal polygamy. Why? Because we have used our brains to come up with ways of ensuring survivability of our offsprings, and even prolonging the lives of those who are already living. Other animals do it - yes, but survival rates of their offspring is low to normal.

Now couple this thought with the 'sex-motivated' humans and think of the impact this will have on the planet (yes, our home planet is part of the issue); considering that humans have now growned accustomed to a lot of things extracted from 'nature' that humans don't 'really' need -- in the sense that only the dynamics between 'corporations and advertising' has shoved such thing's importance to our psyche.

Now wouldn't the thought of of all these make polygamy an immoral issue? ;)

• Eiliat

Nothing, really. I'd be miserable in such a relationship, but as long as all parties are of age and consenting, I don't care what they do. I know a polyamorous group, they're nice people and cool to hang out with. I don't get the relationship, but I have friends in heterosexual relationships whose relationships perplex me more.

I go along with Slighly Amused response pretty well. With a hint of wondering why I have a distrust of the morality in this question. It just leaves the door open for abuse, manipulation, and betrayal.

Without religion?

Well there are roughly 50% each of males and females (but slightly more females), so if one dude takes ten there's nine other guys who get no love!

Even rich/hot guys should share.

The problems with men having multiple wives or women having multiple husbands is jealousy. So what I am saying is that if you dont want a great big cat fight amongst the women and a great big fist fight with the men then dont have multiple marriages.

I have one wife and believe me, that is plenty. Anyone who wants to attempt to keep more than one woman happy needs some serious meds because they are in lala land. Common sense should dictate why polygamy doesn't work. What kind of woman "wants" to share her husband with another woman? Talk about the makings of a catfight there. Men can be very territorial as far as their woman and women can be very jealous for the attention of their man. Use your heads here.....................the bigger one.

Consensual polyamory - I have no problems with.

Gender imbalanced "Head of the household" polyamory - creepy to me.

• ?

I would never want to share, and or be shared. I am very much one man one women.

Source(s): Married for 15 years