Rebecca asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Is PETA against pet ownership?

I need some links to prove that PETA is actually against the ownership of pet animals.

Their website carefully skirts this topic by stating that they wish pet ownership as a past-time had never started, and that they want to reduce the population of pet animals. Any intelligent person can interpret this to mean that PETA wants to reduce the pet population to ZERO, but PETA supporters vehemently deny this.

I can also cite several references that show how they further this goal by supporting breed bans.

But I can't find anything that shows PETA specifically saying that one of their goals is to eliminate pet ownership.

Does anyone have any proof of this?

A Youtube video of a PETA seminar or an interview or something would be great.

kbabygurl23, thank you for completely wasting my time by copy/pasting a page from PETA's site that I already mentioned I had read.

Favorite Answer

Yes peta wants to end pet ownership.

Pets

"In a perfect world, animals would be free to live their lives to the fullest: raising their young, enjoying their native environments, and following their natural instincts. However, domesticated dogs and cats cannot survive "free" in our concrete jungles, so we must take as good care of them as possible. People with the time, money, love, and patience to make a lifetime commitment to an animal can make an enormous difference by adopting from shelters or rescuing animals from a perilous life on the street. But it is also important to stop manufacturing "pets," thereby perpetuating a class of animals forced to rely on humans to survive."

-PETA pamphlet, Companion Animals: Pets or Prisoners?

"I don’t use the word "pet." I think it’s speciesist language. I prefer "companion animal." For one thing, we would no longer allow breeding. People could not create different breeds. There would be no pet shops. If people had companion animals in their homes, those animals would have to be refugees from the animal shelters and the streets. You would have a protective relationship with them just as you would with an orphaned child. But as the surplus of cats and dogs (artificially engineered by centuries of forced breeding) declined, eventually companion animals would be phased out, and we would return to a more symbiotic relationship – enjoyment at a distance."

-Ingrid Newkirk, PETA vice-president, quoted in The Harper's Forum Book, Jack Hitt, ed., 1989, p.223.

"It is time we demand an end to the misguided and abusive concept of animal ownership. The first step on this long, but just, road would be ending the concept of pet ownership."

-Elliot Katz, President, In Defense of Animals, "In Defense of Animals," Spring 1997

"Liberating our language by eliminating the word 'pet' is the first step ... In an ideal society where all exploitation and oppression has been eliminated, it will be NJARA's policy to oppose the keeping of animals as 'pets.'"

-New Jersey Animal Rights Alliance, "Should Dogs Be Kept As Pets? NO!" Good Dog! February 1991, p.20

"Let us allow the dog to disappear from our brick and concrete jungles -- from our firesides, from the leather nooses and chains by which we enslave it."

-John Bryant, Fettered Kingdoms: An Examination of A Changing Ethic, PETA, 1982, p.15.

"The cat, like the dog, must disappear..... We should cut the domestic cat free from our dominance by neutering, neutering, and more neutering, until our pathetic version of the cat ceases to exist."

-John Bryant, Fettered Kingdoms: An Examination of a Changing Ethic, PETA 1982, p.15.

"As John Bryant has written in his book Fettered Kingdoms, they [pets] are like slaves, even if well-kept slaves."

-PETA's Statement on Companion Animals

"The bottom line is that people don't have the right to manipulate or to breed dogs and cats ... If people want toys they should buy inanimate objects. If they want companionship they should seek it with their own kind."

-Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA, "Animals," May/June 1993

"You don't have to own squirrels and starlings to get enjoyment from them ... One day, we would like an end to pet shops and the breeding of animals. [Dogs] would pursue their natural lives in the wild ... they would have full lives, not wasting at home for someone to come home in the evening and pet them and then sit there and watch TV."

-Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA, Chicago Daily Herald, March 1, 1990.

"Pet ownership is an abysmal situation brought about by human manipulation."

-Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA, Washingtonian, August 1986

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are quotes made by PETA and other groups like them

http://www.peta.org/campaigns/ar-petaonpets.asp

This is their own web site stateimg thier view.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is PETA against pet ownership?

Their website carefully skirts this topic by stating that they wish pet ownership as a past-time had never started, and that they want to reduce the population of pet animals. Any intelligent person can...

Source(s): peta pet ownership: https://biturl.im/DCKOO

Unfortunately they are very hard to pin down.. How bout this one? Not sure if it's the one you've already seen..

http://www.peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=13...

"In a perfect world, animals would be free to live their lives to the fullest, raising their young and following their natural instincts in their native environments. Domesticated dogs and cats, however, cannot live “free” in our concrete jungles, so we are responsible for their care. People with the time, money, love, and patience to make a lifetime commitment to an animal can make an enormous difference by adopting an animal from a shelter or rescuing an animal from a perilous

life on the streets. IT IS IMPORTANT, ALSO, TO KEEP OUR COMPANION ANIMALS FROM REPRODUCING, WHICH PERPETUATES A CLASS OF ANIMALS WHO ARE

FORCED TO RELY ON HUMANS TO SURVIVE."

That's about as close as I think you're going to find to pinning them down to wanting pet extinction..

Of course though, PETA supporters aren't able to grasp that simple statement and say that you're twisting it to say something else.

PETA supporters do not want anyone to know that. They want to slowly extinct dogs and cats and other domestic animals without anyone realizing it's happening. You won't be able to pin a PETA supporter down to admit that even if they believe it personally because pet elimination is one of their goals. If people knew that about PETA, they would have next to no supporters and would have a lot of trouble getting people to agree with all of their petitions. They need money to operate and members to show support. There aren't anywhere near enough people that actually agree with PETA, so they have to recruit people that don't understand their goals.

Yes, PETA doesn't want anyone to own animals...

I was watching a thing that said, "Please try and get PetSmart to stop selling animals." Or something like that.

I think they actually hate animals. Most are better off with humans IF they can take care of them. Stick a chihuahua outside and let it run wild. See how long it lives.

I've had mid-back to waist length curly hair most of my life.

Well, I have to be able to admit I love girls with very long hair... for me, the longer, the particular better... I honestly can't think associated with anyone who looked better with quick hair

i used to think peta was a great, if extreme, organiztion, then i started seeing things like this -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlQlJrgZwOk

Youtube thumbnail