My landlord refuses to fix major,major,problems of the house. Roof,plumbling,rotten wood and major mold .?

The roof is rotten,the trim around the house is rotten,the plumbing has major issues,I have to flush the toilet with the help of plunger(two bathrooms).The tub does not drain proper or at all.The back patio sliding glass door came off hinge when my son tried to open it to get to the dog.Thank God I was home.And the eve of the house is falling down. My son has ashtma real bad so I am getting worried that I am living in a lot of mold and that the house as a whole is out of living condition code. When I moved in the home, I had to take what I could get.

The house was bad before I moved in but the landlord said he would fix the problems. That was 2003 now it is 2008.

Can I hold my rent money until he addresses the issues properly or hold my rent and move!

Favorite Answer

Why do you still have your child in such an environment? Have you ever heard of child neglect? Do you know it is a crime?

You didn't say where you live, but in most places, it would be illegal to live in such a place, much less charge rent for it!

Obviously, he is not going to fix it up - are you waiting till your son dies from living there to move?

Stop paying and start moving before you end up in jail.

If you withhold the rent you have to keep it in a separate account. Also file a complaint regarding the mold with the health department. Just beware they may make you move out if the mold is bad enough, but if that is the case you don't want to be there anyway. Take photos and go to the local housing authority and ask them what you can do. They may say you need to move, or they might be able to send you in the right direction.

Good luck!

You can't just not pay rent. You need to go through the appropriate process to set up an escrow account which will hold the rent (out of your hands and the landlord) until the issues are resolved.

The best advice, however, was already mentioned. It is probably time to move on and find a house that is mold free which should help your son's asthma.

You have no options until you pay the rent. It is ILLEGAL to withhold rent over repair issues without a court order in most states. Yes, landlords are required to make needed repairs but tenants MUST go through the proper procedures to force them to. You have no legal standing as long as you are illegally withholding the rent. It does not matter if the house was put up for sale. No landlord is ever required to tell a tenant that a house they are renting is put on the sale market. Most do out of courtesy but it is not legally required. "If I move out I want more than my deposit back." NOT going to happen. You are not legally entitled to any money back on any improvements you have made. You simply lose that money. That is what happens when you fix up a place you do not own. Cut your loses, get your deposit back and move on. You are not entitled to anything more.

You can contact your city hall and tell them your dilemma. You can pay your rent with the city and your landlord will not receive it until the repairs have been made. You can even contact the city building inspector and tell them that the residence is not up to code and they will give him a certain amount of time to fix it or he will have to pay some serious fines. I've been in the same situation, good luck.

Find somewhere else first and then have the place classed as unfit to live in by the health authority.

you could, but he will win in court, Move and report him to the health dept. the mold will cause him to fix it or it will be condemned. We lived in a house like that and it was condemned by the state.

Why did you wait 5 years?

Need to know what STATE you live in to give more specific advice.

After five years, you should move.