How much money exists in the world right now, in US Dollars?

Crazy question. But since everybody know the population of the world, it would seem like somebody out there would know the "money-population" of the world. I mean, every single human bean on the planet has some money, and if not, they've got stuff they can exchange for money. So I wonder if there are any estimates on the value of the world?

Update:

I know the USD isn't worth much right now. I'm just trying to figure out what the net worth of the world is, and the USD is an easy unit to use.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Che
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

World GDP right now is around 53 trillion dollars give or take a trillion. So pretty hard to compute what the cumulative value of all goods is over time as many depreciate and some appreciate. The money supply changes over time depending on the multiplier effect of it's circulation in an economy and the general business/consumption strength. Not to mention no value can be placed on all of Earth's natural resources and the loss of resources not valued by GDP. Natural capital depreciation from losing wildlife and increasing pollution.

Rough guess, how about 500 trillion dollars, since that's about 10 times our global annual production.

• Lisa
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The reason why the debt is so large is because politicians in a universal suffrage democracy have the incentives to spend without reckless abandon and give away as much as they can to bribe people for votes. Under democracy, politicians run a country for a few years. Thus, they recognize that they need to get as much loot as they can as quickly as possible. In the past, they could expect to retire and live off of a lavish pension. These days, since they recognize that the game will soon be over, they have to get as much loot as they can as soon as they can. This is why Bush and Obama have spent so much money. By 2020, the government will probably run out of money. The $14 trillion of so figure for the national debt is inaccurate, as that doesn't include the unfunded liabilities for the ponzi schemes for the elderly (Social Security and Medicare), which are much more than that. The government's projections already assume that the government will somehow miraculously reduce cost increases on Medicare to 2% increase per year rather than the historical 5% and the projections for interest on the debt assume that interest rates will be ridiculously low. The government statistics regarding its future budget are not even best case scenarios. The best case scenario will be much worse than what they project. What we do not know is whether they will inflate their way out of it, cut spending, raise taxes (this won't work of course, as the government cannot get more than 18% of GDP regardless of the tax rates), or default, or some combination. They cannot continue on this course. Many people (both for and against the status quo) have the mistaken belief that it will last forever. What they do not realize is that this system is already in its last days and the total collapse is imminent.

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How much money exists in the world right now, in US Dollars?

Crazy question. But since everybody know the population of the world, it would seem like somebody out there would know the "money-population" of the world. I mean, every single human bean on the planet has some money, and if not, they've got stuff they can exchange for money. So I...

Source(s): money exists world dollars: https://biturl.im/J39P5
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Estimate of M3 is about $12/trillion dollars...

Although the Fed stopped reporting M3 because it doesn't want you to know how much money they are really creating behind the scenes...

# M0: Physical currency. A measure of the money supply which combines any liquid or cash assets held within a central bank and the amount of physical currency circulating in the economy. M0 (M-zero) is the most liquid measure of the money supply. It only includes cash or assets that could quickly be converted into currency. This measure is known as narrow money because it is the smallest measure of the money supply.[6]

# M1: M0 + demand deposits, which are checking accounts. This is used as a measurement for economists trying to quantify the amount of money in circulation. The M1 is a very liquid measure of the money supply, as it contains cash and assets that can quickly be converted to currency.[7]

# M2: M1 + small time deposits (less than $100,000), savings deposits, and non-institutional money-market funds. M2 is a broader classification of money than M1. Economists use M2 when looking to quantify the amount of money in circulation and trying to explain different economic monetary conditions.[8] M2 is key economic indicator used to forecast inflation.[9]

# M3: M2 + all large time deposits, institutional money-market funds, short-term repurchase agreements, along with other larger liquid assets. The broadest measure of money; it is used by economists to estimate the entire supply of money within an economy

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

We live in a world like Al Gore said is becoming Earth INC... so my estimation will be around 400 trillion to 2 quadrillion dollars including what traded in the internet and the new digital business made in 1 DAY.....imagine all the wealth in the year 2030...

• 1 decade ago

the amount of money in any currency has not changed in over fifty years, they just keep printing more of it with no backing what so ever. the gold standard ended in the us in 1933, our cash is worth what a roll of toilet paper is worth, and can be used interchangeably

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Sorry, I have nothing insightful regarding this question

• 1 decade ago

Have no Idea, but i would really be interested in finding out. Hopefully somebody knows! Cheers mate!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't think it really matters seeing as the $ ain't worth sh*t right about now.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.