Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What are your reasons why not to live in NYC?

why do people live in the city? why are some ppl against living there?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It is extremely expensive. The average price one bedroom apartment in NYC I think is around $2600/month.

Also, you have to really be a people person to live here. You're always surrounded by people--whether it be your roommates (because most people can't afford to live alone) or on the streets with hundreds (or thousands) of other NYers at any given time. You have to get used to rarely having private time alone--and forget personal space. Getting crammed into a subway every rush hour becomes the norm.

It sounds like I'm hating on my city, which I'm not. I just think that people have a very glamorous view of NYC from TV and movies and this city is nothing like that.

Oh, and this city is filthy in the summer months. I have to wash dirt/crap/polution off my face every couple of hours.

Source(s): new yorker who has a love/hate relationship with his city
  • 1 decade ago

I wish I lived in NYC for many reasons. I actually used to live in NJ (Union) when I was little, and we'd go to the city almost every weekend. Now there's even more reasons why I'd go.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I'd rather live in New York, then here in Chicago.

Shitcago, er Chicago sucks big kahuna. New York is a world class city. Shitcago is just an overgrown Midwestern town.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I will be moving there in the future. Alot of people don't live there because they can't afford the housing and it's alot cheaper to just live in Hoboken, NJ or another close jersey city.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I don't like people so I have to live in the sticks where there is not alot of people

• 1 decade ago

I love NYC, but I couldn't afford to live there.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

TOOOOO many people... and it is dirty, smelly, full of rude and crude people... it is my hope I never again have to set foot there, or any where near there, ever again.... I do not even want to have do cross through.... apply this to all that lies on the I95 north of Richmond up to Boston and south of the Florida border as well. (Florida does smell better)

• 1 decade ago

1. It's north of the Mason-Dixon.

2. It's too damn cold.

3. New Yorkers are really, really rude.

Otherwise, it's great.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

too crowded and too expensive

• 1 decade ago

Toobig, too crowded, too noisy, too dirty.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.