Are the World Championships and Olympics less meaningful with so many Europeans in the NHL?

While watching Russia beat Canada in overtime, I found that I couldn't muster any dislike for the Russians even after they came back to beat us. Most of them are NHLers, many of whom I greatly respect.and like, a huge difference from the Summit Series or even the old Canada Cup series when they were evil... show more While watching Russia beat Canada in overtime, I found that I couldn't muster any dislike for the Russians even after they came back to beat us. Most of them are NHLers, many of whom I greatly respect.and like, a huge difference from the Summit Series or even the old Canada Cup series when they were evil Communists.

Now that the Russians and other Europeans have lost their anonymity and mysteriousness, do you think championships like the WC or Olympics have lost a little luster?
Update: Edit - For those who seem confused, what I'm asking is whether these championships are as meaningful now that we see these Europeans play in North America on a regular basis. There used to be much more mystery and dislike involved.
Update 2: Man U - I'm the same way, I'll watch every game of every tournament. Thankfully I don't have a supervisor so I was able to work around this year's games.