When did the term "working class Americans" start to mean poor?

I hear Obama say that the "working class Americans can't afford gas prices, or that "working class Americans" can't find a job and even if they could...gas cost so much, they could not afford to drive to work. Hillary said that "working class Americans" can't afford health... show more I hear Obama say that the "working class Americans can't afford gas prices, or that "working class Americans" can't find a job and even if they could...gas cost so much, they could not afford to drive to work.

Hillary said that "working class Americans" can't afford health care and "Working class Americans" are tired of our jobs going over seas.

So my question is, when did hard working Americans, become working class Americans.. The term "working class"
' reefers to the poor, so why can't, the wanna be presidents, just call them poor.. I am a hard working American, I have health care, I can afford to put gas in my car, I pay my house payment...etc..

It pisses me right off, to be thrown in the same category as the poor Americans... These so called leaders, should know the difference between HARD WORKING AMERICANS and POOR AMERICANS, THAT MAKE EXCUSES ABOUT WHY THEIR LIFE SUCKS, WHILE THEY ARE GOING TO GET THERE GOVERNMENT CHECK OUT OF THE MAIL BOX EVERY MONTH...