In the long run, will clothes last longer and come out better if you air dry the clothes instead?

Like, you air dry them instead of putting them in the dryer? I'm thinking in terms of less fading, less shrinking, keeping the fabric nice, etc.

Thanks for all the replies! :-)

Best Answer

It is, with one exception. Those in the Arctic who air dry their clothes at -40 and colder find their clothes wear out far more quickly than they would if they'd thrown them in the dryer. The water freezing in the fabric, crystallizing, and falling out (which is how the clothes dry) damages the fibers - when the water freezes, it expands, and bursts the fibers during expansion.

• Lisa

Rosie, With regard to the enslavement comment, he does have a point. Your original question implies that you are concerned about global warming, you think it's a problem, and you are now wondering what you can do about it. I hope that's right because that appears to be your thinking right now. Now let's talk hypothetically for a minute. Let's say we are now in a period of global cooling. And through further research we discover that this period of cooling is due to reduced solar activity and sunspot activity combined with a 30 year cool phase of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation? Now let's fast forward to 2020 where global temperatures are slowly going down and are predicted to continue a downward cooling trend until at least 2050. This is going to cause great hardship on mankind, much more than any warming would have. So now here we are in 2020 and we look back at 2009 and try to figure out why you thought you had to reduce CO2 or whatever else man was doing in the belief that man was doing most of the warming the planet when all along mother nature had control of (most of) the climate just like always. Then you need to look at how you came to that wrong belief. This is where enslavement comes into play again. Enslavement is getting someone to follow a doctrine to the benefit of the person dictating the doctrine. This usually sounds sinister at first glance, but if you studied history at all you can find the road to hell littered with well meaning people and ideas. And just note, that one of the features of a doctrine of this nature is that is presented as good and right and even moral and any contrary opinion is something to be reviled. Also note that science does not work in that manner. In the end, I'm not saying this is true for you and climate change, but you'd be niave not to at least give it a little serious thought about if not for your current cause but how you choose to follow subsequent causes. Be independent, thoughtful, curious and objective.

I would think the fading would actually be more due to the sun. Fading in the wash/dry process happens in the washer, not the dryer. As for shrinkage, that would probably be less. We've all shrunk things in the dryer.- As for keeping the fabric nice, I don't know. I can't remember from when my mother used to hang out the clothes in the summer. But I do remember they sure smelled fresh!

Yes, the clothes will last longer, colors will not fade and pilling will not occur on certain fabrics, plus savings on utilities!. For some of my items, I dry on low to medium for about 5 minutes to remove wrinkles and then hang up. I hang up everything that I can indoors. At one time, I hung everything outdoors but now live in an area without a clothesline.

I never put anything in the dryer that has elastic ( socks, underwear, etc ) or spandex. The heat ruins it.

As for other fabrics I put them on a short dry cycle ( except towels and sheets ) and then finish by air drying. I never put jeans or t-shirts in the dryer, either. They shrink too much.

Yup. Tumble drying in the dryer adds lots of extra wear and tear to clothes. I compromise by air drying and then sticking them in a no heat tumble setting for 10 minutes just to take the crispiness out of them.

• Seija

Yes, they will last longer. The heat and the tumbling stresses the fabric out, causing shrinkage, fading, pilling, etc. So if you remove the dryer, you remove the stress. I air dry all my shirts for this reason.

YES! Your clothing will last 3x as long NOT putting them in the dryer... I have black dress pants that are over 15 yrs. old and they look brand new because I use Woolite on gentle cycle AND I hang or lay them flat to dry! I have a really nice laundry sorter, clothes hanger in my laundry room.... I'll use that... Or lay them FLAT on a towel on my laundry table... You can also roll the items in a towel and squeeze the water out.. I also have a fan running in the laundry room to dry items faster.. Also, wash them INSIDE/OUT to prevent them from fading!

Good luck

hanging is best, in the dryer there is friction on the clothes right? this is wear & tear, right? & hot hot air isn't all that great on them either, way up north here in canada we only use an inside dryer when the snow blows so cold, cause they would jus turn into a giant popsicle if you hung em outside..

Source(s): miss you
  • Bailey

It might since tumbling in the dryer put weakens the straight of the material and the heat may fade the color.