Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Confederate Flag- YOUR opinion.?

What do you think? I live in Pennsylvania and I'm half black. I live in a small town and some kids in my school have mini Confederate flags sewn on their backpacks.

To me, it represents slavery, bigotry and hatred, but to some people it represents state rights. States have rights now, even though we do have a federal government.

Are you offended? Why/why not!

Also, "The South will rise again?"

what does that mean?

Take over the North?

..as in they think we're going to through THAT all over again?

It confuses me when people born and raised up here think that they have any sort of affliction with the South.

I understand a southerner being proud of their flag, but for someone who has no southern heritage..?

Calling us Yankess and saying that we can't survive in the wilderness is stereotypical too, haha. Pennsylvania is mostly forest, though by the way ;]

I just finished studying US History, that's why I was wondering.

If the South would have won, that means there would probably still be slavery/ the south would be separate.

Why would you want that?

No, no I don't think that people from the South are bad at all.

Actually, it kind of bothers me that there's still sectionalism here. Why does it matter if I'm a Yankee, or you're a southerner? We're all Americans.

Favorite Answer

No, it doesn't offend me if it is being used as a symbol of the good things in a genteel Southern culture which generally was far more gracious than the one we live in today.

It doesn't offend me if it is truly meant as support for increased states' rights and decreased Federal power.

It does offend me if it is being used as a statement of racial prejudice, which is sometimes the case. You might ask some of the kids why they wear that flag and see what they say.

I was born, raised and live in the South and love it here. I have been to most areas of the country and like them all but the South will always be home. It's what you're used to for everyone everywhere I guess.

I'm sure you know that people in the north had slaves just as much as people in the south did and that slavery was not confined to the south. In my experience there is as much hatred and bigotry in the north today as there is in the south as well so i think it is an incorrect stereotype when people say things like that about the south.

I think the confederate flag for most people is a regional thing that says they are proud to be from the south and nothing more. You can really hear some nice ones about us if you just listen. In my lifetime, I'm 39, I have had people from the north ask me if people in the south still owned slaves.....how crazy is that? We're not as bad as people make us out to be, we're just different and mostly in a good way in my humble opinion.

I live in North Carolina and I see the fed flag everywhere. When you study US history, you'll understand. I'm from the North and I can accept the fact that the South should have won the Civil War. People who display the Confederate flag are simply showing Southern pride- please, PLEASE do not be offended. The Confederate flag was in use WAY before slavery even became part of the Civil War. In fact, Lincoln didn't even care about slavery- he only issued the Emancipation Proclamation so that the South wouldn't receive aid from Britain, not to free the slaves. The Civil War was about the South seceding, and that's what the flag symbolizes. I used to be offended until I understood why people still show it so proudly. I hope this helped..

I am against slavery, but the formation of the Confederacy was about more than just the emancipation of black slaves. Political struggle between state and federal government was the driving cause for the disunion of the Republic, and not everyone in the South believed in slavery. Robert E. Lee himself was a known proponet against the evils of this derogatory system. Most people who salute the Confederate Flag simply do it as a reminder of state's rights and, ironically, personal freedom.

Its a flag... i see nothing wrong with it. It represents the south as they were for the short period of time they were a country. Why would they have a confederate flag in PA? PA isn't in the south! I live in the south(very southern tip of West Virginia, about 2 min. to south western virginia) and alot of people i know have them, even black people! It shouldn't bother you.

xoxo Jadee♥

It represents the southern/confederate states. Many people I know still fly confederate flags or wear shirts, jackets, etc with the confederate flag on it. It in no way to them represents slavery, bigotry, or racism. No I'm not offended by it.

Edit:

Because someone chooses to wear this symbol of the south does not mean they are 'stupid rednecks', either. I also believe those who stereotype these people as such, are no better than a bigoted racist themselves.

Those that live in the past are doomed to repeat it...

It seems childish to hang on to a memento that united a group who's only goal was to legally be considered superior over another group. That flag doesn't hold any pride for state's rights, its only serves as a symbol of a lazy man's temper tantrum because he didn't get way.

for some people the confederate flag represents power over other races... but their just a bunh of biggets. but, for some it represents southernpride/rebel pride. some wave it proud while they fight for what they think is right.

"the south will rise again" is like when america said freedom will reign when we got atacked on 9/11. it's just stating that the south/(america) will not go without a fight.

*long live the rebel pride that built this country*

Being from the south myself..I don't see anything wrong with the confederate flag.You and everyone else can see it how you like..makes no difference to me.I'm mixed too,half white and half korean but I understand that the Civil War was over a very long time ago and people should get over it.So no..I'm not offended.

• I also live in Pennsylvania, and I see Confederate flags surprisingly often, considering we were a Union State during the war.

Source(s): <<< so proud of our educational system